Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 14th, 2014 11:00

AMD video driver update

It is a shame that Dell customers are being tortured like this because a lousy video driver! This thing is unstable and everybody knows! It makes our lives difficult, and Dell turns a blind eye. Like many...many others i have the Inspiron 5537 with windows 8.1 64bit and each time i am getting this BSOD "Video dxgkrln fatal_error" and i have to restart 

1 Message

June 30th, 2014 22:00

I have dell 5537 laptop. i also have this problem. i unistall all drivers and install drivers that you told. but that error still here. what is the problem.? i didnt install windows 8.1 .  did i want to again install windows 8.1 and try it.?

1 Message

July 5th, 2014 08:00

my os is not 64bit

i installed all these drivers

and i am still facing this problem

now what to do

please solve this

1 Message

July 17th, 2014 23:00

your link for video intel is providing older version than windows 8.1's in-built graphics driver.

tell us something better......

615 Posts

July 18th, 2014 00:00

Hi All,

I'm curious if there have been problems using the AMD Update Util. Currently I do not have an intel system with AMD/ATI discrete graphics but I've succesfully used the AMD Driver AutoDetect in the past. I recommend giving it a shot...here's that link. 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

It is important to note here that you may see a driver listed for a device you may not believe you have. Dell...And other OEM's...may not list your GPU the same way the website does. For example the ATI Radeon Mobility HD 550v on an N5010 I had not very long ago showed up as the 4250 or something very close to it. If there are problems with installation ability, the utility will notify you.

If this answer reply was helpful please remember to hit the YES button and if you need futher assistance don't hesitate to contact.

615 Posts

July 18th, 2014 01:00

Hi MikeW,

I'm glad that procedure worked for you. There's usually not a need to update a chipset driver but with Intel based systems with discrete graphics by another Mfg., the chipset, intel video, and then discrete video all have to be install. It's usually done as part of an OS installation which is when it's most crucial to have current chipset and video drivers installed in order. 

About your CPU fan. Be sure after such a serious update to your computer that you check the Dell support site for the current BIOS update. That generally solves the CPU fan problem you're having. If you have any questions about this please don't hesitate to contact. 

September 1st, 2014 17:00

5537 with windows 8.1 64bit

Same freaking problem, same machine with no solution - and it seems no one is bothered about it except the customers who are suffering constantly!

615 Posts

September 1st, 2014 20:00

Enliven88,

If you notice, after the pair of posts I left in response to this problem, there are no further entries on this thread until yours, 

In your post:

• There's no question asked
  • You haven't detailed anything about YOUR particular experience with the topic problem
  • There are no details of what efforts you have taken to resolve the problem (ie, what' you've done that hasn't worked.)

Without providing any details, I assume your post serves primarily to vent frustration.

Recommendation: Read the rest of the posts, try what's been provided and if you still need help, provide some details and ask a question.

11 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 05:00

N7U, Why shouldn't he vent? It's ridiculous that this issue still does not appear to have been resolved. I for one don't want to be stuck on old drivers that I daren't touch. I have other video related issues (such as external monitors not always being detected correctly) which I believe might have been fixed in the latest drivers, but which I can't check because I can't use those drivers. If each post here requires a question, then here's a question:- When are Dell going to provide fixed drivers for the affected machines so that Windows 8.1 operates correctly?

2 Intern

• 

437 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 05:00

Mikew5163,

Have you tried LeeKM's modded driver? http://leekms.blogspot.com/

It's known for having no issues with video as ppl say about this Inspiron 5537.

It's worth a try... at least worth more than just complaining right?

By the way, you can install any driver you want and test anything you want (the computer is yours), and if you don't find the solution, you can then return to the old drivers reported to work.

11 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 06:00

Shibby,

No, I haven't tried that, and I don't intend to! I need to use my laptop, not spend all my time scouring the internet for third party solutions to issues that should be fixed by the vendor.

I have always chosen (and recommended) Dell because of the driver support they provide - you just enter your service tag and there are all the drivers you need to keep your machine up to date, or to rebuild it if necessary. But this time Dell have let me down. I will think twice about buying another Dell machine after this experience.

11 Posts

Hi N7U,

Well you kind of did imply this wasn't the place to vent frustration at Dell!

Dell are providing this community forum and I am sure they do read it - if they don't then they certainly should! Plenty of other vendors communicate via their own support forums, because it's a great way to provide direct contact with users.

The problem with Dell these days is that contacting technical support is such a depressing and soul destroying exercise, with no real solutions offered. Coupled with their silence on these forums, it's difficult to know where to turn for help. This is what drives people to vent their frustration. If you're going to vent in the hope that Dell are listening, then this is probably the best place to do it. If Dell actually responded, it might not happen so much.

I'm afraid Dell have just become another faceless corporation, whereas they used to interact with their customers and provide high quality support. It's a shame.

615 Posts

Hi MikeW5163,

At no point did I say anything about whether or not he should "vent"...although this is a support forum and it's purpose is to obtain, or assist in, the support of Dell Community Forum Members experiencing difficulties.

Understand that this forum is attended almost entirely by volunteers and members just like you and I, neither of which are on Dell Payroll. That being said I can't tell you when Dell is going to provide fixed drivers for the affected machines so that Windows 8.1 operates correctly, because I don't know. In fact you're more likely to understand the inner workings of Dell than I am.

I would hope users that find this thread actually read the thread and find a solution. Strange coincidence that after I made a recommendation this thread essentially stopped (regarding the original issue, that is)  In my experience on the Dell Community Forum that is a good indication that the people originally posting with questions about a problem have found a solution.

615 Posts

Dell is the 3rd party....The link in my above post is to the Manufacturer of the component...AMD...and the device can be detected automatically, or you can choose it manually. It will offer the driver download for your device. 

11 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 07:00

Dell is the vendor who sold me the laptop, and I want them to provide me with a working driver. As per my reply to Shimmy above, that's the whole point of buying from Dell - they provide a service tag which identifies the hardware in your machine and the drivers that hardware requires. Certainly Dell will have to liaise with AMD to provide the driver, but it's up to Dell to sort this out. At least, that's hitherto been my experience with Dell and the reason I have bought many machines from them. If they are going to start falling short in this area then I might as well go and buy from someone else.

If you bought a car from Ford and the ECU had an issue, you would expect Ford to provide a fix. You wouldn't expect to have to go to Bosch or whoever made the ECU to get a fix, would you?

1 Message

September 3rd, 2014 21:00

there is a problem when updating ... one of AMD driver getting delete when update then same as before that error being occur . actually i am using windows professional 8.1 64bit os and its genuine so i like to keep my all software up to date ... my laptop model is inspiron 3537...

No Events found!