Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2016 21:00

Accidentally replaced driver for integrated webcam? (XPS 15 9550)

I accidentally replaced the driver for the integrated webcam on my Dell XPS 15 9550 using an application called Zadig. I had meant to replace the driver for a different device. Now, Skype and other applications won't recognize my webcam. How can I fix this? Thank you.

28 Posts

If you go to the hardware manager, (not sure what version of Windows you are running to tell you how to get there), you can find a list of all the hardware that your computer has.  If your running windows 10, you can right click on the start button then go to Hardware Manager.  Once there you'll see a list of all the hardware, under imaging you should see your webcam, however, if the driver that is installed isn't correct, you might see it under "Other Devices".  Right click on the listing for your webcam, then click on properties.  Once the properties window comes up, you'll see a tab at the top labeled "Driver".  Once you click on that, you'll see many different options.  Driver Roll Back is one of the options.  You should be able to click on it and have it roll back your driver.  If not, then I would try "System Restore" and pick a restore point that is before the date that you removed the driver and that should get it working for you again as well.

Okay, I see where there is an option to "roll back driver", but it is not letting me select it as an option.

285 Posts

Hi,

First, Uninstall the driver from the computer. Go to dell.com and download the integrated webcam driver. Install it.

I don't know what you mean by rolling back driver. If you mean trying to install the proper driver, I can't seem to find it on dell's support page for the XPS 15 9550. Can't find anything related to webcam.

28 Posts

Have you tried finding the webcam in your hardware manager and rolling back driver?  Also you could try to use a restore point and restore it back to an earlier date when the webcam was working.  Driver rollback should help if you try that first though.

28 Posts

Wow, I just typed a whole one out and it doesn't seem to have posted it, probably right at the same time that you posted yours.  Well now that you found it you know where it is....If it's grayed out, then it can't roll back the driver and you should try "System Restore" and find a restore point that is available from before the date and time when the driver was removed.

I can't seem to find the driver on the website.

No Events found!