Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 18th, 2011 05:00

Adding memory to 6520? How much and were to put it?

I downloaded the manual but it doesn't tell anything about how to put memory in. I ordered a 6520 and realizing after  ordering  that  XP mode will take some memory I only ordered 3 gb's. Lot's of posts say at least 4 gb with a 64 bit and Xp mode. So I was going to order more memory. Maybe I don't need it for web browesing and downloading  things like map's for gps but better to be safe then sorry. It's less then $100 for more memory. Will 3 gb's be enough to run Xp mode and other things good enough?

Also I'd  like to find a better manual like I have for my C640. It's a service one that tells how to change keyboards,etc. Also something that tells how to add memory and other things on this new laptop? Like turn down the brightness of the keyboard if it's possible.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 18th, 2011 05:00

The service manual for this model isn't there (yet) but the one for the E6510 should suffice;  the chassis is the same.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late6510/en/SM/parts.htm

the system has two memory sockets, so you'd need to remove at least one of the existing modules to upgrade.

69 Posts

April 18th, 2011 11:00

Thanks...

Also can I have more GB of memory on one side then the other? i.e. 3 gb one dimm 4 gb the other dimm?

I  have the Notebook coming with 3 gb's I would think it is using only 1 dimm.. If it's 3 in one I'll get another 3 for the other side.

69 Posts

April 18th, 2011 12:00

I now see it has to be done in pairs since I selected 2 dimms. I ordered 3gb so are they going to be 1.5 each?  From the order choiceing    "Memory will clock at the MHz speed as supported by the chipset and processor. Dual channel memory requires memory modules to be installed in pairs of matched sizes, speed, and technology. "

I called and changed the order to have 4 gb's.

No Events found!