Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2017 12:00

Alienware 17 (from August 2014) 7 beeps and battery issues

So last week the battery died, which was already a warning sign. It stopped charging. Now this morning I go to turn on my laptop (which was perfectly fine 6 hours prior), even played hardware intensive games with it without any problems). And then suddenly this morning it absolutely died without any rhyme or reason to it. Just as I was about to go on vacation with it as well. The laptop makes no noises, hard drives don't turn on, fans dont turn on, LCD and keyboard remain black. It's absolutely lifeless, well except for 7 beeps that is. I know this indicates some sort of CPU failure. First tried to call dell support but of course they return on monday and couldnt help me now. Then I went searching on the internet. Tried to let it heat up wrapped in a blanket like a video suggested, which did nothing because the system is hardly putting out any power. Then I tried to let the battery die by leaving it turned on, a few hours of this and it was still beeping without the AC connected. Then I opened it up, drqined the battery which did absolutely nothing and finally i checked the CPU, removed it and powered the system on. Still 7 beeps, supposed to be 5 now according to people online. Well that didnt help so I aplied new cooling paste which did nothing. I'm kind of at the end of my rope here. Need the laptop for college and I don't have the money to buy a new one. Of course the warranty has long since expired but I had problems with this thing since the beginning, asked dell to give me a replacement when the third fault happened to the system in the first year, they didnt do that. Just put in a new hard drive and either CPU or motherboard. The same type of thing happened in the first year which caused them to replace either one or the other. Anyone know of a possible (cheap) fix? Or at least which component is causing this? I hope it's just the battery but it would be just my luck if both the motherboard/cpu and the battery died at the same time.

Hopefully someone can provide me with some answers/tips.

kind regards,

matt

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 8th, 2017 12:00

Seven beeps is either a bad CPU (a very very rare thing) or a bad mainboard (a much more common point of failure).

Replace the system board first.

No Events found!