Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2012 09:00

Alienware M17x r4 Laptop - Connects to the router with both Wireless and Ethernet Cable but still "no internet Access"

So my I got my laptop about a month and a half ago, and it has worked perfectly from the get go; I've had absolutely no problems connecting to the internet until today. What happens is, I turn it on and everything boots fine; all the other programs have no problems and the wireless says 5 bars. But when I open a browser, a little yellow triangle with a "!" appears over the Wi-fi symbol to inform me that there is no internet access. The troubleshooter tells me it is to do with my router/modem, however the desktop PC which is connected to the router via ethernet cable is granted internet access without a hitch. So to me that tells me the problem is with the Laptop? I've done all the "have you tried turning it off and on again?" things but so far, no luck.  Does anyone know how to solve this problem? 

6 Posts

August 19th, 2012 11:00

I have had a similar problem, and I have done some research, discovering it was the Windows 7 Automatic Update, and system restoring before the updates are installed fixed the problem. At the moment I am trying installing network drivers before the update, and doing the updates 1 at a time

4 Posts

August 19th, 2012 10:00

I do have McAfee, as a matter of fact. I assumed it wouldn't interfere with the laptop's operations since Dell recomended it to me though?

2 Posts

I am having the same problem. Do you have McAfee Security or anti-virus? I believe there may be some conflict between Dell computers and McAfee. I had to run a system restore in order to reconnect to the internet, but as soon as McAfee installs its latest update, I can no longer connect to the Internet. I'm trying to block the McAfee update from installing until I can find a solution to the problem.

4 Posts

When I run the Diagnose (there is no Repair option), it tells me first that my problem is with the modem/router and to contact my service provider, but if I run it again, it tells me that it cannot identify the problem.

3.6K Posts

Right click the signal icon in task tray,select>diagnose and repair.Post back with results.

6 Posts

It seems we have the same laptop... well today i just had the exact same problem... i did some research and everyone seem to agree that it is a problem with the anviritus (i also have mcafee but apparently it is any antivirus), so i decided to boot on safe mode with networking enabled (so mcafee wouldnt boot and i would be able to see if i had internet without it), it worked, i had internet connection... so i decided to uninstall mcafee and here i am, posting this from my m17 i'll probably reinstall mcafee tomorrow or later today and see what happens.

Meanwhile, uninstalling McAfee (since it doesnt have a disabling option) was the solution.

Oim~

3.6K Posts

Try and do a hard boot of the modem and router.

1)unplug modem

2)unplug router

3)wait 60 seconds>plug the modem in first(wait until it cycles and is lit up)>then plug in the router.

6 Posts

August 19th, 2012 12:00

I fixed this problem by installing the latest network driver, and installing the windows updates manually one by one, and now here I am with working internet access :D hope this helps

4 Posts

August 19th, 2012 13:00

I did the system restore to before the updates and it worked! I'm now doing the same as you and updating one at a time. Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread :)

6 Posts

August 19th, 2012 14:00

Im glad I was able to help :3 tell me how it goes please (:

August 20th, 2012 05:00

I have exactly the same problem as u have. I uninstalled Mcafee n it works again. Now to find a friiendlier anti virus software.

6 Posts

August 20th, 2012 09:00

it is not a problem with McAfee, but a problem with win7+antivirus, so basically it can appen with any antivirus... i had the same problem and already installed McAfee again and it works perfectly fine...

Oim~

278 Posts

August 20th, 2012 14:00

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I was gaming on my M17x R4 last night no problem, then this evening Ethernet and Wireless connection both say "No Internet Access" I assume either a Windows Update/Mcafee update has caused this, as nothing has changed since yesterday.

However I also have a Inspiron 570 and XPS 15z both of which have Mcafee and are up to date and have no such problems with internet connections. My XPS 15z goes to work with me and it has been fine all day.

What's the deal with my M17x R4?

6 Posts

August 20th, 2012 15:00

Yeah, thats why i said it is a win7+antivirus problem, when i was looking around for fixes i found out A LOT of ppl with the same problem, for most of them desactivating the antivirus was a solution, a lot of people had different avs but they all had windows 7.

Oim~

6 Posts

August 20th, 2012 15:00

If the windows update caused the problem it could have just been a dodgy install James2k, dont blame the alienware, I found other forums with people having this problem during past updates too

No Events found!