Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2012 05:00

Awaking computer after closing cover

Pardon my ignorance here . . . I ought to know this, but don't.

When the computer is operating on AC power, if I close the cover, when I reopen it, the screen is dark.  I've tried everything I can think of to wake it up (including a single tap of the power button), but nothing works.  I have to force a turn-off (hold the power button) and then do a power up.  If a program is running at the time, this is not good.  What is the way to wake it up?

4.4K Posts

September 26th, 2012 05:00

Hi ErnieLane1,

Welcome to the Community,

To further check please post your system model  and Windows version running on the system.

Thank You

42 Posts

September 26th, 2012 07:00

Inspiron 1750, Windows 7.

4.4K Posts

September 26th, 2012 09:00

Try updating the BIOS using this link below :

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-1750

Note:While updating BIOS AC adapter should be plugged in,the battery should be adequately charged (more than 10% charge), and all external peripherals(USB devices) should be disconnected.

If the issue persists even after updating BIOS,create a new Windows login user account  and check if system is able to recover from sleep normally under the new user account.

42 Posts

September 26th, 2012 14:00

WHOA . . .The instructions are to copy the file to a "DOS-bootable diskette."  What is that, and how I use it?  My computer boots from drive c:, and it does not have a floppy disk drive.

42 Posts

September 26th, 2012 14:00

That's all well and good, and  I'll do that.  But the question remains:  how do I wake it up . . . or does it do it when I open the cover?

4.4K Posts

September 27th, 2012 07:00

Hi  ErnieLane1,

To update the BIOS click on the download link from my previous post,Click on Download File,select Single-file download,Click continue,save file to your desktop.After file is downloaded,double click to run the file and follow the onscreen instructions.

If you have the below settings for power button,under Choose what power button does(Control Panel,Power Options),after you open the lid and press power button once,system should resume from sleep.

Let me know if this helps.

No Events found!