Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PM

March 25th, 2014 11:00

Awful Dell Customer Support

Nobody really  answered my original post:

Simply put, I just wanted to reformat the laptop back to original factory settings. That was all. But the button CHANGE PC SETTINGS stopped working. A bug of Windows 8.1 for which they will release a patch or something... I don't really know.

The thing is that I spent 2 weeks calling from OVERSEAS, 10 hours minimum on the phone (me paying). Probably spoke with FIFTEEN guys... (which, by the way I could hardly understand).

One guy wanted me to cough up $120 bucks for software warranty extension.... not nice...

And EVERY time I had to give ALL details over and over again... serial number, spell my name, address... I mean, the DEA would ask less questions if I was caught dealing.

All I wanted was a simple straight answer. The solution was simple as per this post:

Just press F12 on startup... follow the instructions...

I could write a book detailing everything I tried before I found this.

Essentially there seems to be a problem with Windows 8.1. Before all this I had found a few posts that either didn't work or made things even worse. For example:

This POWERSHELL command did nothing:

This one made me reboot in safe mode to no avail:

This one looks interesting. I followed through and i ended up DEACTIVATING .EXE FILES (?!)

That sure got me into an entirely new mess. Luckily I did find a solution to reactivate .EXE files here:

But then I was back on square one...

I could go on, but I'm still wondering why didn't I ever got a minimum answer from DELL Customer Support? All they ever did was question me as if I was a criminal or something.... Never ever did anyone say "try this" or whatever.... not even something irrelevant... just "spell your last name" kind of questions.... over and over again.... And I became quite adroit at escalating up several guys, supposedly all the way up to a bigshot geek, but still got ZERO. Nothing. Zip.

Got cut off after a few hours. Do you think they call me back? Not a chance... email? Nope.

And by the way I just did a Harvard Business Case for my MBA class where I spoke WONDERS about Dell....

Of course this case was written way back in 1996.... no wonder Dell got delisted from NASDAQ....

By the way, I am typing from an HP Envy right now... No problems here....

Bye bye Dell.

March 25th, 2014 12:00

This is the actual business case dated 1996

http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=20109

No Events found!