This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 15:00

Battery not recognized in BIOS

I read the other threads along this problem line, but this one is different.  I also posted to the BIOS category, but no help there, so am trying the Power Management Category.

My Dell Inspiron E1405 (two years old) runs A-OK on battery or on AC, and when running on AC, the battery charges normally.  The problem is there is no warning before the battery dies.  I checked all the power management settings and they are correct, however there is no Power Meter showing.  Then I checked the BIOS and it shows "no battery installed", with no option to change.  I tried to flash the BIOS (which is already current) but that doesn't work if BIOS does not detect a battery installed.  What would cause the BIOS to not see the battery?  Is this likely a motherboard issue or could the battery be causing it?  The only thing I have not tried is another battery as they are expensive and this one appears to works fine.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

July 23rd, 2008 14:00

I have the same problem with an Ispiron 3500!  I will not post my problem and hope you get a response.

Jerry

July 23rd, 2008 16:00

I just contacted Dell Support and through Online Chat they were able to fix the problem.  It was time consuming and the tech was probably in Bombay but it got done.  They can use Citrix to connect to your computer and he did all the work or I would tell you how he did it but it was done through the Power Options Properties in the Control Panel.  The only changes I can see are that in the Portable/Laptop Power Scheme he set the system to never turn off the monitor, hard disc or go on standby in the Plugged In mode.

You might try that and if it does not help, pop a top, got to Dell Online Chat and let them try to fix it.

I could email you a transcript of our conversation if you would like.

Jerry

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 20:00

Jerry, thank you so much for the reply.  I tried the Power  Options changes, but still have the problem.  If you can send me the transcript of your visit with Dell, that might help.  I tried to contact them, but they want $39 to open a chat.  Is that what you paid?  I don't mind the charge "if" they fix the problem.  If you had a different Dell contact source, appreciate that as well.  Thanks again.

Ron

No Events found!