Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2013 13:00

Black screen with flashing cursor after updating graphics driver with windowsupdate - 15r SE 7520

Hi!

Earlier today I saw that windowsupdate had found a new driver for my graphics card which wad released 1.nov 2013. While The driver was being installed my screen went black, not just flickering like it normally does. It stayed black, with a flickering cursor in c and sometimes the WiFi icon down to the

left.

So now I cant turn om my computer, at the time my Lock screen would have appeared I just get that same black screen with the flickering cursor.

I have Windows 8.1 installed om my computer.

Any advice?

2 Posts

November 12th, 2013 14:00

I would like to advice you to boot your computer to Safe Mode and restore your computer to an early working state. This method will uninstall the current driver you just installed and that should fix the problem. My guest is that you might have install the driver incorrectly. After you get your computer back to normal and you still need to update that new driver, please uninstall the old one before you attempt to install the new one and that will fix the drivers conflict if that was the case. Good luck!

4 Posts

November 12th, 2013 23:00

I launch safe mode by holding down shift and pressing f8 right? It doesn't seem to work :/

Edit: Found my recovery cd :)

No Events found!