Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2015 10:00

Buzzing/stuttering during audio playback on xps 13 9333

Hi,

Recently I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud buzzing noise, then resume.  This happens with both music and streaming videos. If I'm watching a video, the screen will freeze for a second, buzz, then resume.

I'm using an xps 13 9333 with Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I've tried everything I could think of, updating all my drivers, reinstalling codecs, running anti-virus, and cleaning out my system.

Any suggestions?

March 26th, 2015 22:00

Thank you JIMCO!  

I used your summary of this discussion.  What worked for me:

MSCONFIG > Services > uncheck Dell Data Vault and Dell Data Vault Wizzard

I will also add that this problem not only affected audio/video playback, it caused the whole system to pause with each buzz, i.e. my mouse, keyboard, and all activity stopped during the "buzz".  

First buzz free video and audio in weeks!

7 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 03:00

Just a quick note to say thanks for finding out about DellDataVault etc.  Other laptop owners of L502X had success by uninstalling Dell Support Assist and/or Agent. It didn't work for me :-( so I thought I was stuck with the problem.  However disabling DellDataVault removed the stutter/buzz the problem :-)    I would never have found the answer myself, so thanks!!

12 Posts

July 27th, 2015 17:00

I found this thread because I have a Dell XPS 13 (2015 model), and when I'm listening to music via Google Music (using Chome), and the screen powers down due to lack of use, my audio starts sputtering and stuttering. No such problem EVER happens when the screen is powered up.

There are a lot of solutions being thrown around in this thread; I'm unclear which (if any) would apply in my case.

(side note: if any of you are having the audio driver breaking problem, where your sound card simply stops working, the A04 BIOS appears to have fixed this)

11 Posts

July 28th, 2015 10:00

I had reported that removing the Dell DataVault resolved the problem, but it turned out to be temporary.

Once I solved it again by stopping and restarting the Audio Service. Why that should help I cannot imagine, because I normally shut down the PC every weekend, and that never made any difference.   Since that restart the problem has been very minor.

July 29th, 2015 03:00

I had an  Sound issue on Dell XPS 13  9333 and resolved it  after installing the two driver which has been recommended by dell. Please not that my OS was windows 8.1 pro  it is ok now

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=133FN

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=X22K2

Regards

Sayir

1 Message

December 14th, 2015 19:00

hi,

I recently bought Dell inspiron 13 7348 windows 10 and it has same issue. I reported this issue to dell and they changed my laptop's motherboard but problem is still there. Tried installing your hotfix but it says support assist couldn't found.

7 Posts

December 15th, 2015 12:00

This is how I resolved the problem on my Dell Laptop running Windows 7 back in February 2015.  

Pretty much the answer is to uninstall or deactivate anything that has to do with Dell monitoring your computer... the final fix of disabling Dell Data Safe seems to have done the trick.  

Above done in addition to other posters suggestion -

I have found a solution 2 days ago Dell installed an update for dell support assist and dell support agent When i removed these programs from the Control panel the problem went away. 

I have windows 7 64 bit (dell XPS L720X).

Some background i originally had this problem two years ago and it was related to McAfee anti virus. My guess is its do to a periodic scan or something like that.  

Uninstalling the Dell Support programs as you did should have automatically removed two system devices, Dell Diag Control Device (which is the culprit) and Dell System Analyzer Control Device. Go to the Device Manager (from the Control Panel) and look for these under System devices. If they are sill there, disable them; if not, then I don't know what to suggest, though

If you are familiar and comfortable with DPC latency detect and performance analysis software (I'm not), you should be able to isolate the problem (it's really easy to at least find dpclat.exe for free and run it to see if you are getting DPC spikes, which are the problem). I'm new to this Dell Forum, and I can't see that it's possible to put links into these postings (if it is, someone please tell me!). But search for the thread "Audio Stutters and Buzzing Caused by DPC Latency" on the SevenForums.com site; there you will get a good technical explanation of the problem (I'm assuming the underlying problem is the same in all cases) and some further good links to check out.

Hope this helps you out.

Needless to say that unfortunately because Dell refuses to take responsibility for this problem and taking care of it, I will not buy another Dell computer :-(((.

11 Posts

December 15th, 2015 13:00

Thanks for the detailed response.  I had removed those Dell programs and at first I thought it solved the problem, but that didn't last long.

In the end I took MS's offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10 in the hope that it might help, and it did !.   I've had no audio problem since.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 16th, 2015 06:00

links into these postings (if it is, someone please tell me!

Hello. Thank you for sharing your information with us.

While composing or editing a post, select the text where you want to insert the link. When text is selected the link tool becomes active. Click on the link tool (it is an icon in the shape of a link of chain) and paste in the url, then hit "insert".

If you prefer for the url to be visible in the post, type or paste it into your post, then select it as you would any other text, then the link tool, then hit "insert". (When you put a naked url into your post, the forum is supposed to automatically make it into an active link. I have found it to be more dependable to use the link tool to make it active.)

Needless to say that unfortunately because Dell refuses to take responsibility for this problem and taking care of it,

As I wrote in the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ, if you keep a laptop with noise issues past the return period, you will own the issue (unless you can prove that it is related to a hardware defect in which case the hardware is covered under the warranty).

1 Message

April 23rd, 2016 13:00

2016 and this did it for me, thanks. weirdly after i'd deleted all offending dell programmes i still needed to reinstall support assist and the patch. whatever

25 Posts

January 18th, 2017 22:00

Thank you so much :) :) :) .....I uninstalled Dell Support Assist and Dell Support Agent to resolve the sound crackling that I have lived with for the past 3 months !!!

Dell online support was useless....I hope that you are reading and learning Dell  !?!

I firstly disabled the two Dell Diag devices within Control Panel, rebooted but still had the issue. However, upon uninstalling the software for Dell Support Agent & Assist, the sound issue floated out of the window and was replaced with a big grin on my face......woohoo !

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 19th, 2017 04:00

I uninstalled Dell Support Assist and Dell Support Agent to resolve the sound crackling that I have lived with for the past 3 months !!!

Interesting that doing that fixed the crackle. I haven't heard much about the Dell SupportAssist/Agent issue since the spring of 2015, at which time Dell seemed to have  fixed it. The problem seemed to be resolved so thoroughly that I moved it from the top of the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ down to the bottom of it. I hope we are not seeing a return of the issue.

No Events found!