Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

February 8th, 2009 16:00

Can a laptop battery overcharge if mains power is left on.

I posed this question to Dell Support and and was very disappointed with the response. Part of the response read, "Try to minimise the counts on tear down the batery and put into the laptop." I kid you not.

I have four Del computers and my extended family have four more. Up until now I have had excellect support from Dell (in Bangalore). I have emailed Support three times requesting the email address of a supervisor with whom I can discuss this matter and have ignored.

Would appreciate an answer to my origonal question and can anyone tell me how you can contact Dell to discuss a support problem.

Thanks,

ljmwoody

1.6K Posts

February 8th, 2009 16:00

The answer is that the charging stops when the battery is full - so no, the battery cannot be overcharged.  All lithium ion batteries are overcharge-protected as a safety measure.

That said, the three killers of lithium batteries:  heat, aging and deep discharging.  Running the notebook on AC with the battery in at all times will reduce its life - so too will duty cycles that go beyond what the notebook is designed for (they are NOT designed for 24/7 operation, for instance).

2.2K Posts

February 8th, 2009 17:00

This is taken from a Latitude User's Guide:

"NOTE: The AC adapter charges a completely discharged battery in approximately 1 hour with the computer turned off. Charge time is longer with the computer turned on. You can leave the battery in the computer as long as you like. The battery internal circuitry prevents the battery from overcharging."

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 8th, 2009 18:00

Normally, the battery will not overcharge. The circuity that controls the charging in in the battery, so it's possible that this circuity can fail and cause problems. Probability, however, is low.

Many claim that leaving the battery in the computer exposes it to high temperatures, which can cause it to fail. The only time the battery sees a high temperature is during a recharge. My laptop batteries never get hot just by being in a "hot" computer. The battery is there to be used. If you take it out, it is no longer portable. How many times do you unplug to sit somewhere else for a while? In addition, the battery is an UPS for the computer. If you don't use the battery, why have a laptop???

No Events found!