Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2017 07:00

Can my Dell XPS 15 CPU Processor be upgraded?

I recently just bought this version of the Dell XPS 15 off of amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9DC28B/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I found the CPU speeds to be a bit lacking for the amount of work I do. i realized on user benchmarks website that my 7th Gen Core i5 7300hq is actually considerably weaker than even then newer core i3 8th Generation CPUs.

I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU on this computer but I really dont have any idea how to on a laptop like this one, is it even possible? and if so what are my choices? I'm currently looking at the new 8th gen Coffee Lake CPUs.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 26th, 2017 09:00

The CPU cannot be upgraded.  It's soldered to the system board -- and while you can replace the board, there is no option for anything other than a seventh-generation CPU.  Further, the cost (Figure $400+) and the loss of your warranty mean that if you're not happy with the system, you're better off returning the system and either waiting for the eighth-generation version (figure sometime in late Spring or early Summer at earliest) or buying an i7-7th generation equipped 9560 now.

2 Posts

December 26th, 2017 10:00

So is it possible to upgrade from a core i5 to a corei77th gen on this laptop?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 26th, 2017 13:00

Only by replacing the system board -- and at the cost of your warranty, plus the $400-500 the board will set you back (that, if you do the work yourself;  add $100-150 if you want a shop to do it).

So -- yes, it's technically possible.  Is it a practical upgrade?  No.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

No Events found!