Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2016 12:00

Can't PXE Boot with XPS 13 9350

My company recently had to purchase a few new laptops due to expansion, and the XPS 12 9333 was no longer available, so we were sold the XPS 13 9350 instead, being assured that it is the same system and everything will be supported as was with the XPS 12. I ran through the normal steps in BIOS to ensure PXE Boot will work (disable Secure Boot, enable legacy boot options, etc.), but when I hit F12 to try to run a network boot I do not see the option in the Boot menu. All I see is Windows Boot Manager and the Samsung SSD. Has anyone else here had this issue and been able to resolve it? We are using the suggested StarTech USB21000S2 Ethernet adapters, which Dell sold us.

Trying to deal with their customer support has proven to me why I HATE DELL with a passion. Advised my boss to go with ASUS or Lenovo, but she wanted to go with Dell because of a long business relationship. You cannot get anyone that speaks clear English on the line, you have to explain your issue 10 times before you finally get someone that is able/willing to help. No one there seems to understand what I meant by PXE boot or kept telling me it is not allowed on their laptops.

6 Posts

June 6th, 2016 14:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response. We did try all of the suggestions you pointed out, but nothing was able to get the Startech adapter to work. Not sure if it is related to both ports being USB 3.0 or not, but it seems that the Startech USB21000 does not work with the Dell XPS 13 9350.

I had to buy a USB-C to Ethernet adapter, and that went through with no issues. Also took about 1/2 the time the Startech adapter took which was a pleasant surprise.

March 23rd, 2016 13:00

I am having a similar issue with the Precision 7510, just out of box... says a network device did not have a driver installed.

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 14:00

I actually found a suggestion on another forum that the Startech USB21000A2 is no longer supported by the new BIOS versions without patching them with the drivers. Am going to attempt to flash back a version to see if it resolves the issue. If not will probably have to buy the Dell Ethernet adapter, which says it is PXE Boot enabled

June 6th, 2016 13:00

I don't know if this is related... it has to do with the 219-lm card that is now standard in Dells, and the acronis pxe boot: 

PXEboot uses the Acronis default Linux recovery environment which may not have drivers for the latest intel NIC's and/or PCIE NVME hard drives. In those cases, you woul dneed to create a WinPE .WIM file (will require downloading and installing the Windows 10 ADK first though). You can then upload the .wim file to your server and select it . Alternatively, use a USB flash drive or CD and make bootable recovery media and try to boot to that and see if it detects your NIC that way. By default, it too will use the default Acronis Linux recovery media though so may also not have the necessary drivers for your NIC or hard drive if it is newer hardware. In that case, you would still need to create WinPE recovery media instead after downloading and installing the Windows 10 ADK.

OR... if there's time and you want to keep it simple, purchase a USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter and use that for PXE boot instead. All of these use the same generic hardware and have the default bootalbe Linux recovery media and/or PXE boot should have no problem working with them (we use them without issue at work).

I found using a winpe file will allow wds to boot to this card, but it will not boot without the file.

November 18th, 2016 04:00

Did you enable the network stack in the UEFI menu on the 9350?

6 Posts

November 18th, 2016 09:00

Yes did attempt to enable Network Stack. Actually tried about 15 different BIOS configurations on 2 different BIOS versions before I decided to buy a USB-C adapter. The USB-C adapter did the trick.

No Events found!