Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2015 00:00

Can't find "Dell Intelligent Display" on M2800

Hi guys.

I really really need to disable the "Dell Intelligent Display" feature on my M2800. The constant brightness chnanges hurt my eyes.

This option is not on any of the power management screens.

My bios is not set to secure boot.

I have not found a suitable QuickSet app.

I have Windows 8.1 64bit installed.

Please help me.

9.4K Posts

June 18th, 2015 11:00

Hi Vaiden,

Thanks for posting.

Dell Intelligent Display is a software utility designed to conserve battery power by dimming the LCD and works with Dell Extended Battery Life on top of the savings for Optimus.  If you do not have the nVideo Optimus technology,  then it won't be on your system.

If you do have it, the Dell Intelligent Display program will be found in the battery meter.

Regards,
Robert

7 Posts

June 21st, 2015 02:00

Hi Robert.

1. I do have Dell Intelligent Display turned on - even though the m2800 has the AMD chipset.

2. This was turned on by one of the many installations Dell requires you to do while installing a new version of Windows. I only got the bare minimum for my compuer, but even though I did get stung by this satan of a feature.

3. There is Battery Meter screen that looks like what you've pasted. I have the "Dell Command | Power Manager" app instead.  This does not allow me to disable DID.

4. I know you guys consider Google a competitor, but I do suggest browsing their site from time to time. You'd find out that this "Intelligent" display feature is frustrating A LOT of your customers.

5. Your tech support, even the "Pro", seems to be a bad joke. Again - Google showed me that it's not personal. 

6. I'm on a 13hrz a day work sprint right now, and your "Intelligent" display makes me wish I had gone with Lenovo, where there are less pretty colors on the mngmt apps, but more "disasble" buttons.

7. Please do help me here.

9.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2015 07:00

Hi Viaden,

Did you try to update the BIOS?  Some customers have reported success with the newer version of the BIOS. 

Regards,
Robert

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

Yes I have.

7 Posts

June 24th, 2015 00:00

Is there a way to escalate this issue?

9.4K Posts

June 24th, 2015 11:00

Hi Vaiden,

Were you able to find any good solutions on Google?  If so, please share them here on the Forum!

Try this:

Go into Video in the BIOS > LCD brightness and adjust LCD brightness

Then while still in the BIOS find system configuration, click on “unobtrusive mode” and check “enable unobtrusive mode”, then save changes and exit. 

Once back into Windows, press FN and B together.

Regards,
Robert

7 Posts

July 6th, 2015 01:00

Yes. Tried that.

Enabled Unobstructive mode, pressed FN + B.

Problem persists.

Thanks,

Vaiden

7 Posts

July 6th, 2015 04:00

After wasting some more time with the Dell support hoitline, they've decided to send a technician to me.

So we've wasted some more time enabling and disabling "adaptive brightness" and pretending this has nothing to do with Dell. Then we've wasted some time on trying to convince me that it's my fault for upgrading the OEM Win7 the laptop came with to Win8.1.

Then we've wasted sometime on phone with the tech support, again. 

And still - no one in Dell can turn off Dell's own "feature".

7 Posts

July 6th, 2015 04:00

Also, looked at the docs. Unobtrusive mode:

Unobtrusive Mode When enabled, pressing  +  turns off all light and sound emissions in the system. Press +  to resume normal operation.
  • Enable Unobtrusive Mode
By default it is disabled.

How is this even remotely relevant to our discussion?

1 Message

October 22nd, 2015 08:00

Is there nothing that can help us?

I have gone through almost  each and every post  that says brightness change, backlight dim, intelligent display, power saving tech and nothing has helped me.

Do they just go on manufacturing without caring for quality check and finally blaming buyers for their own mistakes.

No Events found!