Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

71 Posts

February 11th, 2006 04:00

Can't get TV out working on Inspiron 8500

I've had this little devil (with NVIDIA card) for about two and half years and only just now need to use the TV out port. I'm actually connecting to a video camera but that shouldn't matter. I've made all the connections, switched on the camera (it records from composite video, among others), then booted the Inspiron. I then try to follow the instructions on enabling TV-out, but the dislay driver dialog bears little resemblance to what the owner's manual says. There is no TwinView tab and no Clone button. I've tried installing an earlier driver but that didn't help (although the menus were different). I'm back on the latest driver now but no closer to using TV-out.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Tony

NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go BIOS: 4.28.20.21.A1, Driver: 6.14.10.6742

February 16th, 2006 01:00

"...now need to use the TV out port. I'm actually connecting to a video camera but that shouldn't matter."

The s-video connection has to be open before you go into the display prefs. turn everything off. Plug everything in their ports, turn the unit's VTR on (not the "camera" setting) so that it will receive the S-Video signal. Then turn on your computer and make the switchover.

If it still doesn't work, try a different device if you have one, to initialize the port. Once it's initialized, unplug the cable from the "different device" and plug it into your camera. I have to do this in order to watch DVDs on my TV via VCR ports, from my computer.

Let us know if it worked for you...

71 Posts

February 16th, 2006 04:00

Thanks for that. I don't have an S-Video cable to connect to the camera, I assumed the composite video signal from the Dell adapter would get things going. So, apart from a composite video, instead of S-Video, I've done everything you suggested, without any luck. If I can find a cheap S-Video cable (which I don't normally need) I'll try that.

Tony

71 Posts

Thanks, Atomic. I'll try to give that a go soon.

Those cables can be expensive, though, especially as I don't really need one! :(

Thanks for that. I don't have an S-Video cable to connect to the camera, I assumed the composite video signal from the Dell adapter would get things going. So, apart from a composite video, instead of S-Video, I've done everything you suggested, without any luck. If I can find a cheap S-Video cable (which I don't normally need) I'll try that.

It is my experience that the only way to get the thing to work has been to hook a straight s-video to s-video cable first, then later swap the cable to the adapter, to hook up to a VCR or other composite input, when S-video is not available. I have never been able to get the adapter to work with the "switching displays" step.

I hope that is acceptable help for you.
No Events found!