Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2010 17:00

Changing LCD panel on my Inspiron 1720

Hey all- Just needing to know one thing reguarding my upgrade to my 1720. I want to change the panel WUXGA I just need to know if the inverters are the same. I am thinking so because of what a inveter does and that it convets DC power to AC. This is 1st part of upgrading. Next I need to replace th esystem board to utilize a dedicated video card then finally a SSD hard drive.  I kow what you might be thinking after reading this and that is why don't I just by a new laptop. Well I really like this one plus I enjoy making the things I have better. :emotion-2:

7 Posts

WOW that was a quick reply, thanks...

I just wonder if there is a way of knowing which Video cards are older one and which ones are the newer ones. Or can you use any Video card that will fit in the slot?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Best assumption to make is that the inverters do not interchange - the inverter very often varies not only by resolution but by make of panel - you need an inverter known to work with the panel you buy - so buy the two together.

I would NOT put money into a mainboard using a dedicated video card in this model.  Both cards it uses -- the nVidia 8400 and 8600 - are well known for unreliability, and you'll have absolutely no way of knowing whether what you buy is one of the late production chips nVidia claims it fixed - or one of the millions known to be of faulty design and manufacture.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 28th, 2010 18:00

There are only two cards that will fit - the 8400GS and 8600GT, both proprietary to the Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 and 1520/1500.  Since production of these systems ended before nVidia publicly acknowledged the problem, I think it's a safe bet they're all likely suspect.  I wouldn't put any money into either card.

7 Posts

January 29th, 2010 15:00

Just wanted to give you all a update..

I was able to get the WUXGA screen installed today. I found some one selling one on Craigslist for 40.00 great deal. The only issue I was thinking I might have is that the screen was from a E1705. But after some research I found that it will work but I was still unsure untill I tried it. I changed the cable to the e1705 panel/inverter and it works great. Like a new laptop. all this for 40.00..... and a 1 1/2 of work...

No Events found!