Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 21st, 2015 13:00

Chrome OS is missing or damaged - recovery USB stick resulted in: An unexpected error has occurred

Got my grand-niece a Dell ChromeBook for Christmas a year ago - no problems at all.

Her grandmother bought a Dell ChromeBook a few months ago and today she got the "Chrome OS is missing or damaged ..." screen.  

I followed the instructions and created a recovery drive (using my MacBook) and after a few seconds I see "An unexpected error has occurred..."

Looks like she has warranty coverage on it, does it look like a hardware problem?  Anything else I can try?  

Going to make another recovery drive using a different brand of USB and creating it on my wife's Windows 10 laptop - just in case...

2.4K Posts

I have found out that my Dell Chromebook will do this if I let the battery completely drain. The resolution is to plug it into the a/c adapter and then subsequent ally continue to reboot it about 30 times until it will boot up. Then once it boots up let it charge and it will not do it again unless I let the battery complete drain. The laptop does go into sleep mode when it is low on power if left on, but I have found this to happen when I completely drain the battery. It must be a glitch in the OS for every time I have done this I have been successful in restoring the laptop.

4 Posts

December 21st, 2015 15:00

Oh Well - it's going back to the shop.

Had a chat with Dell Support and that was what they said to do

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

I have an Acer Chromebook, but don't use it a lot.

Try your luck at http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/laptop/chromebook

4 Posts

December 21st, 2015 14:00

While I was making another recovery drive on a windows laptop I rebooted the ChromeBook many times to no avail.  And the recovery drive created on a Windows laptop was not any better than the one created on my MacBook.  Stronger suspicions of a hardware problem.  

4 Posts

December 21st, 2015 14:00

Dell web site is pretty thin on support.  It is looking like a hardware problem to me....

1 Message

December 17th, 2016 10:00

Nice one! I had exactly the same issue after draining the battery. Nothing else worked, but your solution was spot on! Saved me returning it. :o)

No Events found!