Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2013 20:00

Computer Crashes on Sleep Mode -- Dell Representative Not Helpful

I have a Dell Inspiron N5050 that unfortunately shuts down on its own or fails to respond when it goes to sleep mode. This doesn't happen every time it goes to sleep but it still happens quite frequently. When it shuts down on it's own, it displays a "Windows Did Not Shut Down Properly" message once it is turned back on. It very rarely displayed a Blue Screen of Death that mentioned something about drivers but this hasn't popped up in a while. I've had this issue since late December 2012 but failing to solve the issue myself, I finally contacted Dell Tech Support on February 15 since my computer is still in warranty until mid June.

I've been in contact with a Dell representative for about a week now, having him call me every day to remote control my laptop and try something new. He updated all of the drivers he could find (I previously did this but he decided to go ahead and re-download them anyways), updated the BIOS (again, tried that already on my own), ran all sorts of diagnostic tools (the only one that he ran that I hadn't already run was the WinDbg X86 program), changed sleep settings (tried that on my own too), had me scan the entire computer for about 3 hours to check for hardware issues (It was one of the options under the F12 key when the computer first boots up and it came up clean), and yesterday he set up a new user account and had me use that for a day to see if the problems were linked to my profile (didn't even think about that one). Unfortunately, nothing he has done has actually helped me; it's actually caused the problem to occur more frequently to be quite honest. Today was especially bad, as the computer crashed 9 times and ended up deleting the newly created profile on its own in an attempt to repair itself. The representative called me today for an update and I told him what had occurred. Rather than work with me to help solve the issue, he ended up blowing me off instead and said that he would call me later.

Needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated. I'm a college student and it is imperative that I have my laptop for my classes, especially since I'm taking computer science courses. Does anyone have any possible solutions for both fixing my laptop's issues soon or perhaps getting a replacement laptop? Like I previously stated, my laptop is still in warranty so hopefully I'll be able to have things fixed soon.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2013 20:00

adeptgeek,

Run the full diagnostics and report back any error messages. How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Rick

2 Posts

February 21st, 2013 21:00

The Dell representative had me do that last night (the extended test) and it came back completely clean.

No Events found!