Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

May 21st, 2017 03:00

D3100 does not recognise external monitor with Inspiron 17 5000 series

Hi folks,

I've bought a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series gaming laptop (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB, AMD Radeon R7, 17.3" Full HD, Black) for my son along with the newest D3100 docking station and an ASUS VS248HR monitor. 

The docking station does not recognise the monitor (direct HDML cable). When plugged directly in the laptop it is recognised normally (despite some scaling issues at the moment but that's a graphics card/OS thing I'll fix). 

I have made sure that the latest DisplayLink driver is installed, and the docking station modification is A07. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

vozd

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 13:00

Which specific model of Inspiron 17 5000? Like 5758? Are you using the supplied D3100 USB 3.0 I/O cable to connect the D3100 to the Laptop USB 3.0 port? Have you tested any other monitor on the D3100?

5 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 06:00

Hi Chris,

Sorry for not replying earlier.

The Inspiron model is 7567.

Yes I am using the supplied cable from the docking station.

I have not tested another monitor yet but that might be a good idea to try (got an older Samsung monitor at home).

On another note - and this might be for a separate thread - it's worth noting that there used to be another issue when playing minecraft and it was related to the 4K use of the video card. In this case the second ASUS monitor is directly connected via HDMI to the laptop, not the docking station. The 4K thing apparently caused an issue with mouse movement due to the auto magnification resulting from the difference in screen resolution settings. When my son tried Minecraft on the laptop screen there was no problem with mouse movement but as soon as he moved the playing window to the secondary monitor it started to happen. So once I set the resolution on both screens (laptop and monitor) to 1920 x 1080 the problem disappeared. So now we switch to 4K only when the laptop is used alone. This is weird though and there has to be a better workaround.

Many thanks,

vozd

P.P.S. I am running Windows 10 and I've configured all settings of the dedicated graphics card to use that instead of the Intel built-in GPU (3d global settings and all the program settings I could set). 

5 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 07:00

Yes I did try all the 3 USB ports, no success. I also reinstalled DisplayLink a couple of times through the CD and then using the cleanup tool and a clean install (with all the reboots in between). Also all the Dell updates have been complete too.

One would expect that spending 100+ quid for the latest docking station would just do the trick and it will just work. All the devices are brand new and all the cables are too (e.g. the HDMI cable connecting the monitor to the docking station).

Could there be any incompatibility of D3100 with certain monitor types or brands/models?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 07:00

The Inspiron 7567 power AC adapter must be plugged in when using the D3100 or just an external monitor. Battery only would be for just the Inspiron 7567. Did you test the D3100 USB 3.0 I/O cable on all three of the Inspiron 7567 USB ports? I don't think the game is designed to switch from 4K to 1920x1080 HD on the fly like you were doing. So setting the resolution to 1920x1080 HD on both makes sense to me. You might ask on their Forum.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 24th, 2017 07:00

Is the laptop power AC adapter plugged into the laptop?

Did you test both HDMI out ports on the D3100?

Could there be any incompatibility of D3100 with certain monitor types or brands/models?
* Not that I have read.

Driver (DL R8.2M1) for Dell SuperSpeed USB3.0 Docking Station (D3100/D3000/D1000)

Read through the User's Guide to be sure no step was missed.

No Events found!