Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 4th, 2017 12:00

DELL INSPIRON 3168 2 in 1

Hi,

I had bought, last week, through DELL BRASIL, the new Inspiron 3168 2in1, 11 inches. I had be informed, through a recorded conversation, that the machine could suport an exchange form the HD 500gb to a SSD of any memory. And it could support a 8G memory DDR3 1600mhz instead of the 4G that cames with him. Well, i had not received it yet, but i´m seriouslly in doubt and i am afraid of not being able to change nothing. Once the notebook is not even an I3, it should run very slow without an SSD. So, i would want to know, once and for all, if i could or not change the HD to an SSD. And, if i could, wich one should i buy? I say these because i had entered at CRUCIAL website and it showed to me a model of SSD that came with an addapter, a caddy of 9,5mm addapter. I find it very strange because, as i knew, the caddy was just to change the DVD space to an SSD - and i never understand why people do this instead of putting the SSD on the place of the HD and put the HD on the place of the DVD. Well, if you could support me i would much aprecciate. And, if it is possible, I ask you to send me an email when you answer it.
Tks a lot.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 5th, 2017 05:00

There are two different versions of this model.

One comes with a Celeron CPU, 2G of RAM and an embedded eMMC solid state drive.  This one is not upgradeable at all - the memory is soldered in, as is the SSD - and there are no connectors for more RAM or a hard drive.

The other comes with an Intel Pentium or Core M3 CPU, 4G of RAM (removeable, one socket), and a 500 G hard drive.   That one maxes out at 4G of RAM, though the hard drive CAN be replaced with a standard 2.5" solid state drive.

Neither of these will take 8G of RAM.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 5th, 2017 13:00

It isn't supported -- 4G max.

I think if you'll search the forums some have tried and found the system doesn't boot with an 8G module aboard.

April 5th, 2017 13:00

Thank you very much for the answer. It was perfect. I just have one more little doubt: if I put an 8GB RAM memory, it would make ANY diference? It would stop the machine or it would not made ANY diference?

No Events found!