Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2009 08:00

DELL Inspiron 9300 Laptop won't stay up for too long

A while ago, I posted the 9300 laptop random crash. Recently, I was able to boot it up and ran the diagnostic software completely without finding any problems. The laptop was able to stay alive long enough to finish the complete tests. However, after I booted it into Windows XP Home for about 15 minutes, it just powered off without any warning sign. After that I was not able to boot it up right away. It seems to me that I need to wait for some parts to cool off before I was able to reboot it. I don't have an internal battery as it was dead some years ago and since then I am only using external AC adaptor for the laptop.  Is it mobo bad or the AC adaptor?

8 Posts

August 25th, 2009 08:00

Can anyone give me some advice where I am able to get cheap motherboard other than ebay as it costs at least $120 there. I really  want to reuse the video card and 17' LCD screen with 1920x1200 resolution.

8 Posts

January 12th, 2010 13:00

After a year's post, no one seems know what to do. I am just curious if it is possible to FIX it myself. I believe the power adapter is working fine on other Dell laptop, so this means the motherboard is bad.  I read through some website and found Inspiron 9300 and other Dell laptop series are notorious of overheating and caused various video card or motherboard burn out. I remember I got the motherboard replaced by Dell after I had it for 11 month because it simply wouldn't boot at all. But after a few more months, the motherboard is ALMOST toasted again....with the symptoms I describe before......Do you guys think there is some sensors to detect the temperature on the board? This laptop was kept in a very good condition and less frequently used....so I just don't want it to end up in landfill somewhere. Next time, I will definitely go for a MacBook.

8 Posts

January 13th, 2010 07:00

In case someone out there had similar situation as mine, I just add a few more findings to the problem. Last night, I took the system apart, cleaned all fans and metal vents for white dust. As I explained before, this system was used very lightly and kept in a good and clean condition, I didn't see much dust. while the system was not fully assembled, I booted it up and measured the CPU heat sink temperature with a multimeter. After booting, in about 1-2 min, the CPU heat sink reached 47 degree Celsius (116.6F) which triggered CPU fan for 15 seconds in low speed and temperature dropped back to 37 Celsius ( 52.6F). Obviously, after it was up for about 5 minutes, it shut off and was not able to boot for some time. I conclude that it is definitely related to the overheating, not other faulty device, because I was able to boot into SAFE MODE after it completely cooled 2 hours later and it again only stayed up for another 5 min.

Now my question is how to deal with overheating issue on this particular board, the system has no CPU intensive application run yet. Just the user login interface before shut off.  My Dell Inspiron 9300 spec is 17" WUXGA (1920x1200), ATI Radeon Mobility (M22) 64MB, CPU Pentium M Dothan, 2.0GHZ,, 2 x 512 MB RAM.

8 Posts

January 15th, 2010 12:00

Now I am more convinced that it is the faulty DC power jack that caused all the trouble because I was able to install the CPU/GPU temperature fan control software (i8kfangui31.exe) and check the temperature, it is not related to temperature. It needs to be some luck for the power plug to be seated in order to boot up the laptop and keep it for long time. I will buy a new DC power jack and replace it myself even though the power jack looks very new and not wiggling that much.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2010 15:00

Just wondering if you were able to resolve your issue. I have the same exact Dell model and have had the motherboard replaced 2X and the jack replaced 3x over a 5 year period. I also had the fan replaced since it was overheating as well and I was told that it burnt out my motherboard. Fortunately,  each repair was under warranty but it was still a major inconvenience,. I am currently experiencing the same problem and I'm trying to determine the problem on my own since it is no longer under warranty. Any advice would be extremely helpful! Thanks! Denise

8 Posts

May 21st, 2010 14:00

No time to spend on it yet, but will try soon. Just have been busy recently. Will post the result if I get anything working.

July 31st, 2010 16:00

Like Denise5, I have the same problem with the same machine.

So 2BCool, if you can help resolve this I bet you will be helping several people out in addition to us.

Cheers,

Michael

May 30th, 2011 02:00

Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem.

I have tried soldering a new jack. I think there may be a loose component on the board.

Right now, I am using my I9300, but I have to rest one end of a small brick on the plug to keep the system on. It is not a thermal issue.

No Events found!