Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2016 23:00

DELL XPS-13 hardware upgrade, or no upgrade???

Having read an earlier post, and my DELL manuals, it would appear my XPS-13-L321X circa 2012 is NOT upgradable in terms of SSD Hard Drive, or Memory. [:'(]

Why is it that later XPS-13's appear to have such upgrade options (see link to the XPS-13 Tear Down (iFixIt.com). :emotion-4:

Is this a turnaround by DELL so the inbuilt obsolescence is no longer a 'feature'.  I don't mind feeling a tad peeved that my glorious and loved XPS-13 is not upgradable.  Am I missing something?  :emotion-18: Next is the link to the very graphical (although not for the nervous!) teardown, showing the removable (i.e. edge-connected, NOT soldered) SSD hard drive and Memory.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Dell+XPS+13+Teardown/36157

Hopeful for some clarity on the apparent dichotomy :emotion-16:

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2016 04:00

You can replace the PCIe mSATA drive if you wish.  The memory in your system is soldered in and not upgradeable.

No ultrabook format system has much upgradeability - some have replaceable memory modules;  others do not. Best is to check before buying.

As for integrated components, it's a case of follow the leader - Apple usually integrates as much as possible on the logic board to thwart upgradeability, and PC makers have followed suit.

No Events found!