Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2011 13:00

DELL XPS 15 L502X - Bar at top of screen?

Hello, let me start by saying any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased a Dell XPS15 L502X and after installing about 25 updates required I find that every time I wake my laptop from sleep mode, a bar across the top of the moniter, about .5cm thick appears. This bar prevents my internet screens to fully maximize, as they only maximize underneath the bar. Furthermore, if I drag a box with my cursor on my desktop and move it up to the bar, the cursor goes over it like it normally would, but the box disappears underneath. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers, but nothing seems to have solved it and I'm not sure which update is causing it. The bar looks just like the desktop wallpaper, not anything unusual, except that nothing can open over it but my cursor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

6 Posts

July 17th, 2011 15:00

Thanks for the post Ben, I did the same thing and haven't had the issue again. :)

Answer: Uninstall Dell DataSafe and it won't happen again!

6 Posts

July 14th, 2011 23:00

I am having this same issue. Just set up my XPS 15 L502X today and the same issue occured. It is rather annoying and I'd like a fix.

One temporary fix is to move the taskbar to the top of the screen and then back down. This method just survived a sleep mode test, but it still shouldn't happen in the first place.

6 Posts

July 14th, 2011 23:00

And now I can't reproduce it again after restarting... hmm. I'm sure it will happen again in the future as I didn't change anything.

July 15th, 2011 07:00

Hmmm, I'll give it a try, thanks. I had done some research and a lot of people were having problems with windows 7 after sleep mode, usually due to some combination of hardware and the OS itself, so this may get fixed in some update in the future.

6 Posts

July 16th, 2011 00:00

Any luck fixing the issue? I've still been encountering the problem seemingly randomly. Logging out or restarting sometimes fixes it, other times not. I've just tried disabling the Dell Stage, Accuweather, and all desktop gadgets to see if it happens again.

6 Posts

July 16th, 2011 00:00

I found something! Check out this article: en.community.dell.com/.../19904700.aspx

Seems Dell DataSafe may be causing the issue, which is odd actually because it claims to stop working when you move the taskbar to the top of the screen. I'll try the fixes in this article if I see it happen again.

July 16th, 2011 06:00

Actually, so far just moving the taskbar to the top has solved it, thanks for the suggestion! Originally I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers, I even restored to factory settings and nothing seemed to work.  Creating a new account worked for a while, but then it began to do it again...

4 Posts

July 16th, 2011 14:00

yes you are right,  this happens after a couple of minutes use for me, not necessarily after a sleep mode.  And you are right if the taskbar is put on the top and then back down the problem does not occur again.  

July 17th, 2011 14:00

I was having the same issue and was able to use the taskbar move trick to fix it. However, when I'd do the taskbar move, I'd notice that Dell's DataSafe backup program would crash. I wondered if that could be causing the issue to begin with. I uninstalled it completely and haven't had the issue since. I only rebooted and used Sleep Mode a few times, but so far, so good.

Leme know if that fixes it for you...

July 17th, 2011 16:00

No problem. Glad it seems to be working. Can anyone else verify success from doing this?

4 Posts

July 17th, 2011 19:00

I noticed the same thing but I didn't take that extra step,  you have really helped a lot of people out including Dell which spent countless hours trying to correct the problem on my computer.  I notified them of your discovery and told them they should remove Dells Data Safe (totally unecessary product anyway) from the XPS units ...,,,many thanks.  

July 17th, 2011 20:00

Yes, thank you for all your help everyone, it really is much appreciated.

I think they'll report the general problem, though they have the wrong solution. Creating a new account worked, as suggested, for 3-4 tries, but then it stopped working again. It might be best to write to Dell directly, or report it elsewhere.

Thanks. Do you think the guy you spoke with will actually report it to the correct people? I really hope they remove the program altogether. You're right, it's totally unnecessary.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2011 00:00

Probably not...but I mentioned it to a few of them over there.  ..

No Events found!