Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2013 05:00

DELL XPS 17 (L702x) , nVidia Drivers not possible to be updated

Good day, I owned a DELL XPS 17 (L702x) , i7 , GeForce 555M , win 7 -64Bit ULTIMATE Service Pack 1.

My problem is that I can’t install a newer version of my GeForce 555M card. I had the 306.97 , I have download through nvidia (AutoDetect) the latest version which is 327.23 but IT CAN’T UPDATED!!! I have also installed nVidia GeForce Experience 1.6.10. , I tried though this program to update my card’s driver but again without result. After this issue it automatic reinstall the 306.97.

I also follow your info on page : http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/kcsarticles/articleview?docid=545795

But same results.

My integral INTEL HD video card is updated to latest version. Also my laptop is in all respects updated. As I have read on various forums , that is a common problem … without an obvious solution neither from Dell or nvidia.

Please can you advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Apostolis - Greece

3 Posts

October 9th, 2013 07:00

I am having the same problem with my Dell XPS 2720, which uses optimus (Intel HD 4600 and nvidia GT 750m).  I download the latest drivers from nvidia's website and it cannot detect my GT 750m video card.  I'm worried I'm locked down now and at the mercy of Dell's slow releases on their own drivers in order to upgrade. 

5 Posts

October 9th, 2013 09:00

the Dell's release is dated : 3/1/2012   :-(   , i do not believe they will ever post a new one :-(

107 Posts

October 10th, 2013 09:00

Have you tried uninstalling the nvidia software from programs and features in the control panel, then cleaning the registry with software like ccleaner (until you get no errors), then in device manager under display adaptors if there is anything there when expanded, apart from the intel adapter, right click and uninstall. Then run ccleaner again for the registry and files. Then restart the PC. When retarted cancel any prompts to install drivers etc or new hardware. Then install the newest nvidia software that you downloaded.. At the end of the install you will be prompted to restart. After restart you should have the newest version which i believe is from Sept 2013.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2013 12:00

No luck :-( , i do all that you mentioned, with wifii OFF , but again it can;t installed the latest drivers. When I restart the computer it auto installed the VGA Adaptor. I even download the 331.40 Beta ..... again same error!!!!

any other idea???

107 Posts

October 10th, 2013 14:00

even if it installs the standard vga adaptor, what happens after then when you try install the latest nvdia software?

You said your issue is you were stuck with an older nvidia driver. If after uninstalling the nvidia driver the hardware is recognised and the windows vga driver is installed then it means at least its not reverting to the older nvdia driver. At that point you can try the newest non beta driver software. What happens then? It can't revert to the older one as you uninstalled it and removed all traces from the registry.

Also after searching i found this...some people having trouble removing old drivers used driver sweeper. I haven't used this ever personally but can't vouch for it.
http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Have you run the PC doctor check with the onboard dell diagnostics software within windows to check that the hardware is ok and see if it has any issue?

107 Posts

October 10th, 2013 16:00

I have an L702X with the GT555m & a L502X with the 540M they can both use the latest driver software package direct from Nvidia without any issues. Moreover my friend has 2 L702X's and we updated both with the latest nvidia software the other day without issue and I did an L502x last week none have had problems with the driver software from nvidia.

Edit

@SAS209 as you have different hardware than the original poster and possibly a different problem maybe it would be wiser to start your own thread. From my experience with the XPS17 which is the PC the OP has there is no issue with hardware ID that is affecting the system. He had an older version of the nvidia software working it seems.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2013 16:00

In my case, the driver package directly from nvidia says that it can't find compatible hardware.  After doing some investigation, it appears as though Dell is using a different "subsystem id" on the hardware, which is not in the stock nvidia drivers. I guess this puts the onus on Dell to update drivers and basically screws Dell customers.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2013 20:00

Yes, it may be.  I've actually resolved my issue by following the steps in this post http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158 .   I had the current Dell version of the nvidia drivers working but could not get them to update.  I followed the above steps and that worked for me.  Good luck, guys!  

5 Posts

October 10th, 2013 23:00

many thanks for your reply. after the windows install the vga driver, then I tried to installed the latest driver .... but with the same error, it was not possible, after that i switched on the wifii and it automatic installed the 306.97.

I have run in me laptop with the PC doctor ... all is ok.

Do you believe with a format will resolve this issue??

107 Posts

October 11th, 2013 05:00

I think maybe you have enabled the automatic driver update within windows update.

If you google you should find a way to disable.that. 

5 Posts

October 12th, 2013 10:00

after format ... everything is ok. :emotion-2:

No Events found!