Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2013 04:00

Dedicated memory help

Can someone tell me how do I increase my dedicated memory? It just says 64MB dedicated rest around 1.6kMB shared one. I got a 2GB graphic card. I can't run my Fifa due to it as it needs some 256MB memory at least, atleast that's what the EA support guy told me. I got a Intel HD Graphics Family graphic card and also a Nvidia GeForce GT 525M card too.

I own a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop.

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

June 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi Armaan8134,

In regards to your inquire, the Intel(R) graphics controllers do no use dedicated memory on their own, they use shared memory that is taken from the RAM memory installed on your computer. 64mb will be dedicated to the graphics chip and beyond that will be dynamically shared if required and will slow the system down dramatically.

The feature that sets the amount of memory that is used for video is called Intel(R)  Dynamic Video Memory Technology and this will make the graphics controller only to use the amount of RAM memory that it requires to run the different applications or software's. There is no way to preset this to an specific value, you can only limit the maximum memory that it can take.

You will see this option usually in BIOS, but this depend on the motherboard manufacturer and the amount of RAM memory installed on your computer. Dell Inspiron N5110 BIOS does not have this option available to increase the dedicated memory.

The Inspiron N5110 is equipped with nVidia’s Optimus technology. The Optimus technology is designed to maximize performance and user experience on the computer, while minimizing the impact on battery life. It combines the graphic processing capability of the integrated Intel graphic processing unit (GPU) with the discrete nVidia GPU while running graphic-intensive applications such as 3-D games. The nVidia GPU is turned on only for preset applications and thus extends the battery life.

The Optimus solution is enabled through an application profile. When an application is launched, the video drivers check to see if the application has an application profile associated with it. If an application profile exists, the nVidia GPU is turned on and the application runs in performance mode. The nVidia GPU is turned off automatically when the application is closed.

Please perform the following steps so that the Nvidia GeForce GT 525M card is used to run Fifa game:

• Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • Select Manage 3D Settings.
  • Click on the Program Settings tab.
  • In 1:Select a program to customize:- click on Add.
  • Browse to the application / game and open the executable file by clicking Open.
  • In 2:Select the preferred graphics processor for this program- click on the tab and select High Performance NVIDIA processor.
  • Click on Apply and the settings will be saved.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

10 Posts

June 15th, 2013 07:00

I tried what you said but it still crashes with the error Fifa 13 has stopped working.

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

June 15th, 2013 11:00

Hi Armaan8134,

Please try changing the Preferred graphic processor to High Performance NVIDIA processor in Global Settings and then check if that works. Here are the steps:

• Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • Select Manage 3D Settings.
  • Under Global Settings tab, select the Preferred graphic processor as High Performance NVIDIA processor.

Also, I did some research and found that this is a common issue. Please refer to the article on the link http://bit.ly/17bU4KF for further assistance.

Hope this helps. Please reply with the information.

10 Posts

June 16th, 2013 02:00

I referred to the article but still it won't start. I tried updating my Nvidia driver but it doesn't install. The error comes, Nvidia installer has failed.

10 Posts

June 16th, 2013 02:00

I referred to the article but still it won't start. I tried updating my Nvidia driver but it doesn't install. The error comes, Nvidia installer has failed.

10 Posts

June 16th, 2013 15:00

Any help? Bump? :s

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 16th, 2013 16:00

Sounds like the game is incompatible with switching graphics - - check with the publisher.

No Events found!