Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2017 17:00

Dell DataSafe pop up

I've had my Dell laptop for a few years now and don't recall this ever popping up before. I have a pop up in the lower right hand corner from Dell DataSafe tht asks me to create a system recovery media. I don't know if it's something I'm supposed to do or if it's malware or something disguised as something from Dell. I don't recall ever seeing it before nor did I ever sign up and pay for it. Is this something normal that needs to be done? Like I said I've had this laptop for 3 or 4 years and never recall it popping up before. There is no "X" to close it, I have to choose now or later to get it off my screen. 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 19th, 2017 10:00

Its pretty normal on a Windows 7 OEM install but Dell DataSafe is long obsolete. It can be uninstalled and the last version of Dell Backup and Recovery can be installed instead. Once Dell Backup and Recovery is installed you can make Windows 7 OEM recovery media...

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=GX7TX 

Note this may not work at all if you've already upgraded to Windows 10.

2 Posts

March 19th, 2017 12:00

I upgraded to Windows 10 quite a while ago. If I don't download the new backup and recovery, would I still be able to use windows restore feature if I need to? If I can then i don't think I'd need this since I really don't have much on my computer that i'd lose if I had to restore to factory settings. I just didn't want to click anything or uninstall it until I found out if it was something I had to have to use system restore.

No Events found!