Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2009 18:00

Dell E1705: Normal Video Card Tempuratures?

Greetings,

I am curious as to what the normal video card temperatures should be for my E1705 with a Nvidia 7900 Go, 256M.

I am using CPUID Hardware Monitor to track the temperatures. Idle I am running about 75-80 C and while playing games, World of Warcraft with all settings to low for example, the temperature goes to about 95, almost 100 C.

I am seeing the same thing on Windows 7 and XP with the drivers from Dell and with the drives from Nvidia.

The reason I ask is that when running games like WoW, LOTRO, or Torchlight I am having system slowdown/freezes now and then. It's not a full lockup, but the entire system grinds to a halt when I am playing for a few seconds and then limps along for a while. I think it's thermal triggers firing to slow the system down, but I'm not 100% sure.

This started to happen after Dell replaced my previous video card that died on me. I think it might be the video card overheating, but the tech support folks don't seem to believe me or think it's an issue. Since I have not been able to get from them what normal operating temperatures are, I thought I would check here to help me pin down what's going on.

4.6K Posts

December 7th, 2009 08:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

I can't tell you what the normal graphics temps are for an E1705, but I can tell you that 95°c - 100°c is waaaaaaay above normal :emotion-3:

According to GPU-Z, the 8800M GTX card in my XPS M1730 is currently sitting at around 63°c, and I've never seen temps above 78°c - even after a prolonged FPS session in CoD: Modern Warfare 2, Wolfenstein, Batman: AA, etc etc .

But my XPS M1730 also has a 128MB PhysX card, a Core2Duo T9300 @ 2.50GHz, and a pair of 7200rpm hard drives in it, which further indicates you have a serious overheating problem!

Unfortunately though... apart from following normal procedures (checking for dust/raising the back of the laptop etc)... I can't offer any suggestions for how to lower your temps - other than maybe trying I8kfan GUI?

You use it at your own risk of course :emotion-55:

No Events found!