Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2016 18:00

Dell E6410 Touchpad Stopped Working

Hello people

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 running on Windows 7, I installed some windows updates and after that the cursor just froze, upon restarting the problem still persisted. Right now my touchpad is dead. I have uninstalled all the security updates of windows except for one because it is not uninstalling, I tried uninstalling the touchpad driver and re-installed different drivers but nothing seems to work here, I even tried the troubleshooter.

The Dell touchpad software detects the touchpad and even shows that it is ON.

In short I have tried all the methods posted on the forums online but I cannot find a solution. Please help me out here!

Thanks in advance!

4 Posts

June 25th, 2016 02:00

Hello 

I have a Latitude E6410 rnning on WIndows 7. Recently after a couple of windows updates my laptop's touchpad just froze. I restarted the system but the problem still persisted. 

I have tried all the solutions mentioned on forums online. These are the things I have tried

1. Ran the troubleshooter

2. Uninstalled and then re-installed touchpad drivers.

3. Uninstalled all the windows security updates except for one which does not uninstall

The Dell touchpad software recognizes the tpuchpad, even the device manager says that it is functioning properly but it is still stuck. even the buttons aren't working.

Please help me out here!

Thanks in advance!

2K Posts

June 25th, 2016 17:00

Hi ZEHALI,

Could you confirm if the external mouse is working fine? Is the touchpad detected in device manager? Could you check if the touchpad is disabled in device manager? Is there any damage on the system? Do the touchpad buttons register a click?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1MXUYKh - restart the system and check if the touchpad works.

Restart the system in safe mode by pressing f8 on startup and check if the system works fine in safe mode.

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Keep us updated.

4 Posts

June 26th, 2016 17:00

Hey

The external mouse is working fine. The touchpad is also detected by the device manager and not disabled.

Just a quick update I used the fix this guy mentioned here in this link 

en.community.dell.com/.../19486560

I Installed ubuntu in my laptop and upon booting the system from ubuntu my touchpad started working. I don't know the reason behind it maybe you can figure it out. When I booted through windows 7 the touchpad worked fine but sometimes it gets stuck, I cannot be sure about it. So I log in through ubuntu, make it work then boot through windows to keep it going.

2K Posts

June 26th, 2016 18:00

Hi ZEHALI,

Thank you for the update.

Does the touchpad work in Linux environment all the time without freezing?

Please restart the system and use the system in safe mode with networking for a while and check if the system works fine in safe mode.

Have you updated the BIOS as advised in my previous post? Also reinstall the chipset and touchpad drivers and check. If the system was working fine earlier, then perform a system restore to restore the machine to an earlier point where it was working fine.

Based on your response, we can research further.

4 Posts

June 27th, 2016 09:00

Yes it does work in linux all the time.

So

1. I updated the BIOS as advised, I reinstalled the touchpad drivers initially when the problem initiated, but as advised I reinstalled the recent version i.e. 8.1200.101.127, even though now that my BIOS is A16 this driver shouldn't work as it says clearly that it is for A06 BIOS.

2. Also I cannot perform a system restore as the issue started after 22nd June and since then I have tested a lot of updates and drivers so the restore point have sort of lost.

3. I updated the BIOS and then put my laptop to sleep and went to work, when I returned home woke up my laptop, the touchpad froze again! I don't know what the problem is. So I booted my laptop from linux, touchpad works fine. As soon as I boot windows the touchpad freezes. I even did that safe mode thing you asked me to do.

I am at a loss here! There is a free Windows 10 upgrade available. Should I try that?

2K Posts

June 27th, 2016 12:00

Hi Zehali,

Thank you for the update.

As the system works fine in Linux all the time, the issue could be Windows related. The BIOS is independent of the OS on the system.

Could you back up all the data on the system and try reinstalling Win7 from scratch or perform a factory restore, rather than Win10 first?

Keep us updated.

No Events found!