Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 19th, 2016 01:00

Dell Inspiron 11-3147 BIOS A09 problem & solution

Hi!

After installation of latest BIOS A09 version for Dell Inspiron 3147 I got some problems with boot.

1. Pause about 10-15 seconds during boot after Dell logo.
  2. Start (logon) screen not appear after boot and I see black screen till I do not touch screen.
  3. PC does not start from Sleep mode, while Hibernation mode works,

No matter of Windows 8.1 or 10, drives etc. I have tried different installation of drives, settings and Windows 8.1/10.

Solution.

Downgrade to old version of BIOS A07 fixed all above mentioned problems. Why Dell has provide BIOS that made user experience awful? For those who have similar problems after installation of BIOS A09 version - you can download old version of BIOS from Dell downloads page http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/inspiron-11-3147-laptop.html

1 Message

March 9th, 2016 15:00

Thank you!  I had the same problem.  Could only get computer to start by removing battery for a bit.  

Thought PC fritzed. then found your note. Installed A07 from the link you provided and laptop works again!

2 Posts

March 10th, 2016 19:00

I didn't find the previous versions of BIOS on Dell official download center, so got to go and google it.

On some other post, staff says that downgrading is not possible for their devices, but this statement is not true. When I roll back the A07 the windows is refused to boot with error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and this fixs via waiting for the 2 reboot and launch dell recovery system (which is not dell actually, but windows built-in) and select from Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> Startup Settings -> Enable Safe Mode. After rebooting in a safe mode and restarting the system manually I'm able to load windows as it was before.

Hope, this may help somebody to safe his time.

Oh, and I uncheck the auto-search for future updates.

1 Message

March 19th, 2016 20:00

Thanks - followed the instructions and downgraded to A07.  Working now with no issues.

9 Posts

May 31st, 2016 06:00

I also found Volik's fix to work - I did have to go to Safe mode to get back to A07. Everything works as expected now. I visited multiple forums and tried other solutions, but they either did not work, did not apply to my setup, or required me to disable both Windows and Dell auto updates (such as loading an older display driver). I don't know if this fix will work for everyone, but it would be nice if someone at Dell would fix the problem with A09.

5 Posts

May 31st, 2016 06:00

Did anyone have tried A10 BIOS for Inspirion 11-3147? It was published 4/28/2016.

2 Posts

May 31st, 2016 10:00

After the last update I won't even try. All this software is a ***

9 Posts

May 31st, 2016 11:00

Actually, it was A10 that I initially installed - same problem with sleep mode. I is ludicrous that Dell would put out a new BIOS version without resolving a well-known issue. There is a big disconnect these days between the larger tech (and other) companies and the usability of their products.

5 Posts

May 31st, 2016 23:00

Actually, it was A10 that I initially installed - same problem with sleep mode. I is ludicrous that Dell would put out a new BIOS version without resolving a well-known issue. There is a big disconnect these days between the larger tech (and other) companies and the usability of their products.

Strange, for me it was A09 that bring problem with Sleep Mode, slow Post and Need to touch screen to pass Post commands. Yesterday I have installed A10 Bios with fingers crossed :) Results - no problems with Post, not problems with Sleep Mode.

My main question to Dell Engineers and SW programmers - what is difference between A07 and A10 BIOS versions if everything works same. Name only I guess :)

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2016 12:00

It depends on how you have your Power Management settings configured in Windows.  On my machine, I have things setup so that pressing the power button is supposed to put the machine into sleep mode (both on battery and on wall power).  At A10, pressing the power button does nothing.  I also noticed that on A10, accessing drives and directories over the network was excruciatingly slow (even slower that usual with this underpowered and lackluster performing machine).   Dropping back to A07 corrected both issues.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2016 13:00

I downloaded A10 on my inspiron 11 3147 running Windows 1607 (anniversary Edition) and the computer now does not wake up from sleep. I have to hard reboot the computer each time it goes into sleep. My workaround, disable sleep mode altogether till Dell Fixes this issue with the new BIOS.

No Events found!