Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2013 04:00

Dell Inspiron 14R/15R no boot device found

I have a new laptop right out of the box and when turned on it displays NO BOOT DEVICE FOUND.  

it is set to Legacy Boot: 

Hard Drive

CD/DVD/CD-RW DRIVE

NETWORK

I ran diagnostics and next to HDD it has NA

Is there a setting I don't know about to get this thing working?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

January 24th, 2013 05:00

Hi rhastings56,

Please try following the steps given below:

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for enter the BIOS.
2. Navigate to the “Advanced” menu.
3. Change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
4. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
5. Reboot the system.
6. Go back into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key and change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
7. Save changes and exit by pressing the F10 key.
8. Reboot the system and it should boot normally into Windows.

Please reply, would be glad to assist you further.  

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

January 28th, 2013 12:00

Hi rhastings56,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

1 Message

February 10th, 2014 13:00

I have been experiencing the same problems on my new dell laptop, however I have only been using it since December and twice it has not found the hard drive/ boot device.

First time it did not work for a few hours; I turned on my laptop and no Boot Device was found, later that day my computer was working normally. I was confused and took it to my local computer repair store and when turning on the computer, it started just fine.

The next day my computer was working until I turned it on to use in one of my classes and again, no Boot Device was found. I was startled because this was the second time my hard drive was not found.

I took it back to my local computer repair store and I am currently waiting on a call for the results.

I am confused; this laptop has only been used for little over a month now. Why am I having these problems?

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2014 05:00

Hi,

I have a bran new Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7537 since January 2014.

Got the same issue.

Was pre-loaded with Windows 8 and I applyed the Windows 8,1 free uprgade.

After few days working fine, it s now display No boot device found

Called Dell support and after few tests, they asked me to send the laptop to support.

No way to recover data before.

So, before sending the laptop, I like to see if it can be fixe without sending back the laptop.

As I read the posts, it seem to be a know issue ... not very impressed with my new Laptop following this issue.

Any devellopement ?

Thank you

J-Yves

1 Message

June 22nd, 2014 16:00

I just had same problem. Computer froze the N blue then reboot then no boot device found and on setup diagnostic testing says no hard drive found. this happened out of the blue

1 Message

August 27th, 2014 05:00

Dear Dell Sinatra K

I'm having  Dell 5520,

It's seems that at first it opens a blue screen saying that oops! Your PC ran 8 to a problem,

Later the laptop totally doesn't turn on,all it says is there didn't start run and it starts in the loop saying 1 0/0 .then I gave my laptop to a customer care next to my house ...,

They told they could not fix it.

After I was back home the laptop turns on saying no boot devices found.Press any key to reboot :( !

Please look after. ...as I'm running out of time ...

I have some assignments to look after 

May 21st, 2015 21:00

Hi there,

my laptop is having the same problem...

also, i tried switching the AHCI setting, but thats the the only one available. It  doesnt have intel smart response

i have an Inspiron 5537

1 Message

June 14th, 2015 13:00

Hello DEll TEam..are you alive on this one?

1 Message

July 21st, 2015 12:00

No boot device fix you posted doesn't help. My computer is already set to your suggestion. This seems to be a widespread factory defect problem. My son's new computer doing  the same thing. We need a fix and would like Dell to own up to the problem though responding to everyone in this forum.

2 Posts

July 30th, 2015 11:00

IT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL.

1 Message

September 19th, 2015 12:00

I bought the extended hardware warranty lasting until Oct 15 2015.

I have the same problem, I called support, whose members are very hard to understand. They sent me a box to return it. Two weeks later I got it back unrepaired with no explanation except to say the damage was not covered and they had tried to call and email me several times which was a lie, NO calls, NO emails, not even a confirmation that they received it. It came back filthy and the keyboard had not been attached. I contacted them again, after being on hold for 45 minutes and they told me there had been a big spill. I checked under the keyboard and there had not been any spill!!! I did drop a small amount of ice cream on the touch pad which I never used anyway. I will send a pic of t to them and ask  them to point out  where there was a spill.

I have since bought an HP

October 23rd, 2015 14:00

I turned the Inspiron 15 Windows 8 pc for the first time in months.  Receiving error message No Boot Device Found.  Computer was off due to a redirect virus.  I rebooted to PF2 and the BIOS Version is A05.  

Can anyone help?  

1 Message

January 26th, 2016 10:00

after my laptop said there was no boot device found, I pressed F2 and went to advanced settings, but when I tried to change the SATA operation, there was only AHCI. there was no option for Intel Smart Response. please help. thank you

1 Message

September 16th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

I´ve got a Dell Inspiron 5537 and I am facing the following problem.

No Boot Device Found: Press any key to reboot the machine

So I´ve been trying, pressing F12 and F2 navigating to find a way to sort out the problem but without success, as well I haven´t receive a CD with the initialization system.

Have you found a way to sort out your problem?

What should I do?

If you could email me please on santoshelio@hotmail.com I will be glad.

Thanks heaps

Helio Santos

1 Message

February 27th, 2017 00:00

Hi I am using Dell inspiron 14 5000 series laptop with Window 7.

I have same error in " No boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine" problem.

How to fix this problem?

Please advise me. Thanks.

No Events found!