Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2011 05:00

Dell Inspiron 1520 BIOS not supporting the level of hardware

Hi guys, 

I have inspiron 1520 with Vista. I replaced my old and crashed hard disk (5400rpm SATA 320GB Toshiba) with a new one (

7200rpm 16MB cache SATA II 250GB Seagate). 

This time I wanted to install XP with SP3 and successfully did it. Lated I downloaded 1520 drivers for XP from Dell and installed everything sequentially but the last one did not work. Eventually I ended up with the error message "This BIOS does not support the level of hardware in this system". I checked the bios settings and it is recognizing the new hard drive and the all settings are remained as factory settings.

Is there a problem with upgrading the Hard disk to SATA II 7200rpm ?

2 Posts

January 21st, 2011 06:00

no.I ve just replaced my HDD.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 21st, 2011 06:00

This sounds like you attempted a processor update to an unsupported CPU.  Did you upgrade the CPU?

3 Posts

August 30th, 2012 16:00

Hi , I am having similar issues on a used machine I purchased. It is the same model I already own but newer year. It did have Vista at one time and had Ubuntu when I got it about a week ago. Well,  I formatted and put a legal copy of xp pro 32 bit on it and installed some drivers to the 160 Gbyte drive. Had it working  quite satisfactory but then an icon came on in the notification area (task panel) and up pops a virus scanner????   I could not do anything but let it run , told me I had all kinds of nasty virus' and such.  I  could not even open task manager  and I know I did not install any virus support (yet).    So now I just used a disk utility to wipe the drive clean and reinstalled windows. I also flashed the bios - cmos settings by removing and jumpering the batter in the memory panel. Currently running a check utility from dell came with the old 1520. Then I am going to wipe the disk one more time , format the entire drive with ntfs with a disk utility and install xp again. Hard to get rid of the virus files.

No Events found!