Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2012 21:00

Dell Inspiron 1520 Display Issue

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520. The laptop display has suddenly become very dim. Here is the problem. When I switch on the computer, I see the Dell logo for a second or two, then I hear a sound near monitor and the display becomes extremely dim (I can barely see anything). If I connect this laptop to an external monitor, the display seems to be fine. Could someone suggest possible solutions to this? I was looking at getting a replacement monitor from Dell itself. I wasnt sure if replacing the current monitor will solve the problem.

Futher, I just noticed that as I turn on the laptop, the fan doesnt seem to run. Is this normal? Could the two issues be connected?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

4.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 22:00

I suggest http://www.parts-people.com

It is best to replace the backlight and inverter at the same time.  They are usually paired together.  It becomes important when the manufacturer of the backlight is different.

I do not know what your resolution is but you can see they sell both the screen and the inverter together.
www.parts-people.com/index.php

4.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 21:00

The inverter or the backlight could be going.

3 Posts

Thanks. The link you have given is for the LCD monitor itself. Is it possible that I can buy just the backlight and inverter separately and replace them? I found the following in amazon.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

www.amazon.com/.../ref=ox_sc_act_title_2

Let me know what you think

3 Posts

I reasonably good with assembling and troubleshooting instruments. Do you think if I get an inverter from Amazon I can fix this myself?

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2012 17:00

Just looking at the inverter, I see there is a caution:

IMPORTANT! Please compare your current inverter to the one pictured above. There are several different inverters that are used within these models. Some inverters might have different screw hole alignments.

It might work, but as I mentioned, there are different inverters for some displays.  If they are a match, then yes you can change it yourself.

No Events found!