Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2011 23:00

Dell Inspiron 1564 - webcam error - "Please plugin a supported device"

My Dell inspiron 1564 is giving a error message "Please plugin a supported device" when i activate the webcam central and also when i am using Skype it is not showing my camera.

i have windows 7 and all drivers are up to date.

i tried reinstalling the webcam central driver from the provided company CD and it worked fine once but now again the above mentioned error appears.

Kindly assist.

KAami

1 Message

October 5th, 2011 11:00

My inspiron 1564 webcam (factory installation) would not capture, record videos, etc. and had a message displayed such as yours.  What I finally did was:  I found the "exe" file for Webcam Central (WebCamDell2.exe) which was in C:/Program files (x86)/Dell Webcam/Dell Webcam Central/     and I right clicked on the file to display the properties and then changed then clicked  compatibility tab and changed the compatibility mode from Windows XP to the Vista service pack 2 (that was the latest vista available).  Amaxingly, it worked.  I have spent a lot of time and OCD-type energy trying to find the answer.  Hope this helps.

207 Posts

April 6th, 2011 12:00

Hi KAami,

I am sorry to know your webcam is not being detected, it can get frustrating at times. Though it sounds very simple, you may want to check and make sure you have all the basics right. 

First check if the webcam is listed in Device manager under imaging devices.

• If not, shutdown the computer and check the connection cable (Follow this link -   If connections look good and it is still not working, you may have to get it replaced. 
  • If it is, just right click on the webcam and uninstall the driver and restart the computer. This will help the system to detect the webcam as a new device when it restarts.

Let me know if this resolves the issue in your reply.

- Niranjan

No Events found!