Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2011 18:00

Dell Inspiron 6000 will not find new hard drive - trying to install new after old one crashed

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 6000 whose old hard drive crashed sometime ago.  I bought a new hard drive:

Western Digital 250 Gb Scorpio Blue

model WD2500BEVT

SATA 3.0Gb/s 8Mb cache 5400 RPM

While trying to install the OS (Windows Vista) from the original disk, the computer can not find the hard drive.

what can I check do to help it find the hard drive?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 11th, 2011 18:00

Be sure you transferred the blade adapter from the original drive to the new one.  Without it, the drive isn't connected to the system.

Also be sure you create a 120G first partition on the drive and install Windows to it.  DO NOT create a single 250G partition - if you do that you WILL lose the data on the drive one day.  Once Windows is installed, create a second partition to use the rest of the drive.

For data integrity, the boot partition cannot cross the 120G barrier.

7 Posts

April 11th, 2011 20:00

Thanks for the info - especially about partitioning.

i removed the adapter from  the old hard drive and it does not fit onto the new one - which leads me to believe I have the wrong type of hard drive.  On the dell site, it shows the western digital BEVE is compatible.  This is a BEVT.

You can see a picture of the original hard drive here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19856388/Reply.aspx

Notice all the pins.

The WDBEVT does not match.  So I am guessing I have the wrong hard drive, unless there is some other kind of adapter i can use.

Now that I have this, is it possible to buy an enclosure and just run the computer from the hard drive through USB?  It will be a secondary computer and won't need to travel anymore.

Thanks for any info.

7 Posts

April 11th, 2011 20:00

Sorry - the link to the picture didn't work.

Also - the original is EIDE and the one I bought is SATA - even if I can run it through USB in an enclosure, will my computer recognize it even then?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 12th, 2011 04:00

BEVT is SATA, which will indeed not work with this model.  Yes, you can use it externally (but you will still need an internal drive to use to boot the system, of course).

7 Posts

April 12th, 2011 18:00

Sorry - just to make sure i understand - you say SATA will not work with this model laptop - how could I still use it externally then?  Thanks for any clarification.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 12th, 2011 18:00

SATA won't work internally  but will in a USB 2.0 SATA case, externally.  You will still need an internal parallel ATA drive to boot the system from, though.

No Events found!