Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2015 08:00

Dell Inspiron 7537 - Battery drains to 0% while laptop is completely off

Hi,
From yesterday I'm experiencing weird problem with the battery.
In morning, I turned on the laptop and battery was 0%, it started charging. But before shut down, the battery was fully charged. The same thing happened now, after charging it fully in the afternoon, I turned it off; now it was not turning on without plugging in.

This is 2nd battery. In Sep 2014 the 1st battery stopped working all of a sudden (I bought the laptop in Feb 2014, so it was just 7months old). Dell replaced the battery.
The 2nd battery used show wrong charge capacity from the day 3 after installing.

I'm using windows 8.1 update 1.

I don't understand what's wrong with this dell battery.

Anyone faced similar situation?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 10th, 2015 20:00

Hi tdas777,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, We will need to determine if the issue is with the AC adapter or Battery. We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
  2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times you will now be on the BIOS screen.
  3. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
    If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
  4. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Also, I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the battery. You can download Support assist from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP on Battery to check for issues

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

94 Posts

August 11th, 2015 23:00

Hi DELL-Ravi BC,

In BIOS(version A13, updated few days back) the adapter is showing as 90W, and the battery test is passed.
  Yesterday, I did the battery calibration as suggested by the dell tech support, and at night I unplugged the AC power and shutdown the laptop.

I don't know why but I flipped the laptop (after 20~30sec of complete shut down), and I saw the fan was still spinning, and it was not drift after shutting down any spinning fan or motor, it was actually spinning. I checked the hdd was off as there was no humming sound/feel from the hdd area.

So I push the power button and it was not turning on, i tried 3-4 times. Then I plugged the AC power and push the power button, and it turned on, in windows it was showing 88% battery level, at shutdown the battery was 89%.

Then again I shut it down and flipped the laptop, and the fan was still spinning. So again I turn on the laptop and shut it down. Now this time, the fan was not spinning. I didn't turn on the laptop after this.

After 2-3 hours, before going to bed I checked and the fan was not spinning.

Today morning the battery level was 86% which is okay.

I don't know, but I suspect the new A13 BIOS is the reason for this; because previously on A12 or other version of BIOS, I never faced this battery drain problem.

And another thing, when the adapter(model# LA90PM111) is not plugged into the laptop, but connected to the AC power, the green LED sometimes fluctuates and it's noticable. This also happens when the adapter is plugged into the laptop, but the level of fluctuation is very very small almost undetectable. But the adapter charges the battery.

I borrowed another dell adapter(model# LA65NS2-01). Its LED was not fluctuating in any case.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 14th, 2015 10:00

Hi tdas777,

I’d advise that you load defaults in the BIOS and check for issue resolution. Please follow the steps mentioned below to load the BIOS to defaults.

1. Reboot the computer.

2. When prompted during POST, press the key to enter the setup screen.

3. On the System Setup screen, press the key.

4. Press the key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

Or next ideal step would be restoring the system to factory state.

6 Posts

August 16th, 2015 09:00

I am too facing same problem. Try this solution and reply if it works.

Right click on battery indicator icon and click power option.

Select " what power button do" on left panel.

Click on "Choose setting that are unavailable" to get admin rights 

for " when i press power button " select shutdown  for both battery and power.

94 Posts

August 16th, 2015 10:00

Well, few days back I installed a software Intel XTU. The dell tech support suggested a system restore before that installation. I did. Now battery drain issue is resolved.

2 Posts

August 16th, 2015 23:00

hi there!

facing the same problem since windows 10 update. please can you tell which method did exactly solved this problem.

Thanks.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2015 22:00

I had the same problem. I am using Dell inspiron 7537 with Windows 10. I think I fixed it with disabling USB wake in bios and remote wake in Intel smart connect technology.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2015 22:00

I had the same problem. I am using Dell inspiron 7537 with subdued 10. I think I fixed it with disabling USB wake in bios and remote wake in Intel smart connect technology.

1 Message

August 24th, 2015 22:00

I dont think so , i tried but not work .

My laptop is inspirion 7537 . First time i used window 8.1  evreything ok , smoooth and fast . but since up window 10 my laptop is problem .

Fan still spinning and under near battery warm , drain 0% battery   while my laptop shut down . I shut down by Star menu or close lid and press power button  all same . 

i must start laptop again  then shut down again it 's work , fan stop everything stop .....

i try fix in Power Option : set shut down when i press power button and set shut down when i close the lid , then  uncheck Turn on fast  startup

i tried check everything  and update new Bios A13 , and up all  Driver 

All i do that it 's not work , cant fix  this problem . 

6 Posts

August 25th, 2015 09:00

revert back to A12 Bios. And then see

371 Posts

August 25th, 2015 10:00

3542 laptop running windows 10 upgrade

this is a copy of the post i answered from some one else, had the same problem..
my problem was from the Intel Rapid Storage ,
yes Martinkit, that is exactly what happened to my laptop, the same as what u experienced with the power problem.
as i said in post
go to Control Panel
on bottom left side, click uninstall program
there are 3 programs to uninstall
Intel rapid storage (i think it will say, have to stop program first before uninstall - click yes) and think it asks to restart system, just go ahead and click yes)
intel management - something or other (cant remember the exact name, but its the only one titled like that)
intel security assist - (also cant remember the exact name - but the only one with a name like that)
on my laptop 3542 , after uninstalling those 3 program there is only one program left made by intel and that is the graphics , obviously , u do NOT want to uninstall that

2 Posts

August 25th, 2015 10:00

Actually Jessy is correct. uninstall all the Intel programs from control panel except Garphics card.

i have faced similar issue, but that issues has been resolved by above solution

August 27th, 2015 11:00

Same here too much battery drain in win 10 for my 7537, restored to win 8.1

10 Posts

August 27th, 2015 11:00

I have the same issue and I did revert back to A12 Bios. Doesn't change a thing. Still the same thing. Battery goes to 0% after shut down.

2 Posts

November 24th, 2015 14:00

Hi, this might be due to the new update. I also experience similar things and I found this answer hopefully it will works for you:

Search for device manager->system devices-> Intel® management Engine interface-> (right-click) properties-> power management-> uncheck “allow computer to turn off this device to save power”

hopefully it wouldn't drain your battery to 0% when you turn it on.

No Events found!