Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

October 22nd, 2013 11:00

Dell Inspiron - Power Board and / or Motherboard Replacement

Right guys, Ive been asked to look at a Dell Inspiron 1545 for my wife's fried....

First thing I did was to recover data and reseat the normal items Memory, Battery, RAM etc..

Symptoms

- Original Battery installed, power connected (Power adaptor lit to confirm power) but no lights at all on the Dell. No Boot - dead as a dodo

- Second Battery from my old Inspiron, nothing at all until I put the power supply in and then the light lit on the front of the laptop.

- Tried additional chargers too

My theory is that the power board isnt passing the power from the connector through and it may also be a motherboard failure too.

I dont want to go ahead and replace the MB if people think that this just may be a power board failure.

Thanks for your feedback in advance....

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 12:00

Hi GeoPostJR,

Remove the battery from the laptop and try to power on the laptop only with the Ac-adapter, check if the laptop is powering on. This is to check the functionality of the Power board.

Check if the light on the AC-Adapter goes off after connecting it to the laptop, this indicates a motherboard failure.

You can also check the functionality of the motherboard by connecting a fully charged battery of a similar model to the laptop and power on the laptop only with the battery connected. If the laptop does not power on, the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Please try and post the results.

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 13:00

Hi Thanks for the quick response..

I removed the battery and tried it with just the power supply

- No Lights

- No Power On

- Power Supply has light to confirm power and doesn't change when plugging it into the laptop.

I don't have a fully charged battery available now I'm afraid.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 17:00

Hi GeoPostJR,

Based on the description it appears to be a problem with the motherboard and DC-In port (power board) of the laptop which needs to be replaced.

Please check if there is a possibility for swapping the motherboard at a local tech store and check the functionality of the computer before purchasing it.

No Events found!