Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2013 11:00

Dell Laptop Inspiron N5050 Motherboard Issue

I have Inspiron N5050 Laptop and my motherboard just went bad.  I bought this computer on 06/06/2012, that mean my warranty expired just over 2 months and motherboard went bad.  Every time I try to start the computer, it gives me 7 beep sounds.  I called Dell and spoke to tech support, they confirmed that I do have bad motherboard.  They want to charge me $328.00 to fix this issue, which puts my cost of repair at 78%.   Is anyone else having this issue?  I know that other laptop have same issues and there was recall for it.  This was my first Dell computer, have always used Acer and ASUS computer.  Are there a lot of consumers who are having same problem?  

thank you in advance. 

1 Message

October 3rd, 2013 13:00

Wow! Same thing happened to my N5050. Two months after the warranty expired, the motherboard went bad. Dell wanted to charge me $180 plus $150 for the motherboard, which is ridiculously high price for fixing their own product. This was my first time with a Dell Computer, and my last one. I felt really upset with their repair prices and zero consideration for the fact that the warranty just expired. At a local repair shop, the guy told me that he had other Dell Laptops that the motherboard was being replaced. I wonder if there is a recall, however when I call they didn't mention it, so I assume there is not.

I had a good experience with HP laptop, and Sony. At lest they  last more than 14 months : )

October 7th, 2013 14:00

Mine too.  Went dark.  Just over a year old.

1 Message

October 13th, 2013 13:00

Have a similar problem on a 14Z purchased in Feb 2013.......both motherboard and hard disc have failed and now been replaced, and Dell can't get the Windows 8 operating system to work.

Had to re-download all of my Office applications.......and they are still not operational.  Dell Customer Service has been AWFUL in their response !!!

I'm now going on a month since the Mboard and disc replacement and they can't seem to find the problem and refuse to replace my IN WARRANTY computer..........I have spend days on the phone with tech support to no avail. 

I HAVE ASKED FOR A REPLACEMENT 14Z (SINCE THEY ARE NOT PAYING ME TO DO THEIR IN WARRANTY DIAGNOSTIC REPAIR R&D), BECAUSE THEY CLEARLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM

MY RECOMMENDATION AT THIS POINT IS NOT TO BUY A DELL!! 

GOOD LUCK TO US BOTH!

1 Message

February 15th, 2014 20:00

My mom bought the same laptop for me, the beeping sounds and black screen happened last year. Luckily after a while the computer magically started up again and worked until about last weekend when it turned off. Then I tried to turn it back on and it started smoking. Yes, it was smoking through the mousepad. Worried about the stench of the smell my roomate made me get the laptop out of our room. Since it stopped smoking I locked it in my car over night, and the next day I brought it inside. Of course it wouldn't start, so I called Dell to see what I should do. After 52 minutes on the phone they said it was more then likely the motherboard and said it would cost $328 to fix the issue too. I decided against paying that much to just have Dell replace my could be faulty motherboard issue with another motherboard that would break in a year and a half. Dell must have bought bad motherboards, and the company is now hurting their customers, judging by my experience, maybe endangering their customers by selling them in their computers. I go to Purdue so luckily I have friends who know computers. They helped me open it up, and yes it was the motherboard. Just by how I described what happened on the phone the Dell worker knew it was probably a motherboard. I think they are used to this issue, and are not going to do anything to change it. I suggest taking the time to simply file a well thought out report with the better business bureau.

No Events found!