Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2012 04:00

Dell Latitude E6520 connecting 2 separate monitors with HDMI and VGA.

Hello,

Is it possible to connect 2 external monitors to this model, and (with the laptop screen) have 3 monitors in total? Did anyone configure hes hardware like that before? Is it working and is the nvidia card ok with this setup?

Or is there only possibility to work for 2 monitors a time?

Any help would be great.

69 Posts

August 13th, 2013 02:00

Hello everyone,

I would like to give back to community an 100% working way of conecting 2 additional moniors (maybe more even with docking station) and having 3 screens working in total (2 external and 1 laptops).

3 things are needed:

- Intel HD graphics card driver

- Nvidia Driver

- Optimus enabled in bios

(configure in this order: Enable optimus, install intel hd, install nvidia)

Make sure that the drivers are properly installed. Download the intel hd driver from dells site and nvidia driver from nvidia site.

Thanks to this, it is possible to assign 1 monitor to nvidia graphics card and 2 other to intel hd grapgics card. It then looks like this in nvidia config:

This will work for 100% :)!

Now it is about trying to connect as many as possible :).

Hope this helps anyone!

1 Message

April 20th, 2015 18:00

This is NOT true for the Latitude E5520 - mine does not have an NVidia graphics card anywhere. The onboard HD Graphics card seems to only support 2 monitors at once at any time - even when using a docking station.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 6th, 2012 21:00

Hello Bremen,

Laptops are designed in such a way that even if they have VGA and HDMI ports, the output will be from just one.
So it will be only 2 displays that one would get. 
1. The Laptop LCD.
2. The external monitor.

Please write back to us if have any further questions.

69 Posts

September 7th, 2012 00:00

What if i connect one of the displays using usb-dvi adapter?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 8th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Well, the output would still remain the same. 
The display would be on the Laptop LCD Display and only one External Display. 

69 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 09:00

Well apparently...

934 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

You could use a VGA splitter.

Don't pay too much and look for an active (built-in amplifiers)one.I used to have splitters with up to 16 available VGA outputs and one VGA input (connected to a desktop system).You also may need a gender adapter - male-male or female-male etc... can't remember anymore - it's also on offer on the same webpage

here is an example:

www.amazon.co.uk/.../B00577TRIW

========================

I some cases a simple VGA cable splitter for 2 external monitors only will work (they then share directly the same output signal from the laptop,this could weaken the signal and result in lower quality but it's worth a try....

www.amazon.co.uk/.../2

========================

if you buy online - read customer reviews if available

934 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 11:00

> I obviously misunderstood your question in the first post

> are the 2 external monitors connected to the same laptop ? How did you manage that each screen shows a different content?

69 Posts

when you press windows key + p options will show where you can choose either to duplicate the sreen everywhere, show only on external or extend the screen to external screen. I choose the last one.

This is not possible on all laptops and i was wondering if it is on latitude e6520- it is. Now I am wondering whats the max amount of screens you can connect, because when docked to a docking station there are additional 2 hdmi ports and 2 dvi ports.

And no configurations were needed, this is running with build in graphics card.

69 Posts

my image didnt load, no clue why- The point is what i asked work perfectly without any adapters. Laptopm monitor + hdmi monitor + vga monitor:

934 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 13:00

I have never tested the "Extend" option - just connected a VGA monitor to it and it works,But I can't do much with the second screen.Something new I can try out......I know there are programs available that allows you to use one screen  to create layouts and the other screen to input commands or whatever.

Anyway - I can't give you an answer regarding the hdmi and dvi-ports.I don't have any of them (no personal experience)

but I guess ,because of the digital complexity of the HDMI signal, it won't be that easy as with a simple analog VGA port when it comes to connect 2 or more monitors to the same port.

February 22nd, 2013 11:00

Hi!

If i were in your situation i would get a VGA to HDMI converter from the internet, i got mine from http://scarttohdmi.co.uk/vga-to-hdmi/ and its working well with my Dell system well so far.

Iv got mine connected similar to this:

If you planning to do the same, you will need an extra mains power plug, because the vga to hdmi converter needs power supply. The good news is that it also has the feature of transferring sounds straight to the HDMI port of you laptop or computer.

I hope this helps everyone!

69 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 04:00

Hi there after a while peaople,

Weird thing occured- After i reinstalled my system, i cannot get the 3 monitor option anymore. I just cant set it as before. Did anyone elese succed with connecting 3 monitors without any adapters?

September 4th, 2013 12:00

Thanks so much for the steps provided! Worked like a charm.

Will only add that for E6520 laptops with some of the video drivers already installed (got a 'used' E6520 at work), I had to:
(1) disabled the Optimus option on BIOS

(2) reboot and reconfigured the Intel video driver (to desired resolution,probably not needed for 3 monitors to be set up)

(3) enabled Optimus option and rebooted

(4) installed the nvidia driver with 3D vision included.

Then, I was able to get same screenshot as provided by BREMEN-PL.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2015 07:00

Thanks for the tip.  My Dell Latitude E6430 does not have Optimus in BIOS.  The laptop has Intel HD Graphics 4000.

No Events found!