Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 27th, 2015 12:00

Dell Latitude e6420-Screen goes blank after installing HD 3000 graphics driver

Hi. I have a Dell Latitude e6420 that the screen goes blank after installation of the HD 3000 graphics driver. The Nvidia Optimus is enabled in the Bios. The Bios (ver. 21) is completely up to date. I can only see graphics in Safe Mode with the driver HD 3000 driver installed. Without it, I can see graphics in Normal mode, but only in 600 x 800 resolution. This was the original problem before a re-installation, so I thought I would do a clean re-install to fix it. Originally, it was Windows 7 32-bit. The recovery process would not work, so I re-installed Windows 7 64-bit hoping it would fix the problem. I used the driver sequence similar to Dell recommendations, and all went well until I installed the HD 3000 graphics driver which must precede the nvidia 4200m driver, then it went back to the original problem before the re-install. The CMOS battery is good and it is showing the correct time and date. It has the same problem now with the 64-bit as it did with the previous 32-bit windows 7. I also tried updated drivers from the Dell site when it had the original 32 bit windows 7, but that didn't work and that is what led up to a clean re-install, but the problem is the same.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 5th, 2015 13:00

Normally I would say that this was a problem possibly caused by a corrupt driver installation.  Typically I would suggest uninstalling both the Intel and Nvidia drivers, restarting the system with no drivers installed and after the reboot reinstall the video drivers starting with the Intel HD driver and then the Nvidia.

Reimaging the drive should have corrected any driver issues, and assuming that you are using the correct drivers, this should have corrected the problem.  Since it has not, this may be an indication of defective hardware. 

I will send a friend request, if the system is still in warranty and you are in the US, I may be able to help if you would like to try a service.

Thank You

TB

March 5th, 2015 15:00

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I would also like to mention that I can use an external monitor with all the drivers installed and it works perfect  that way and I have complete control over the graphics, but when I unplug the monitor, the laptop display will not come on, unless I uninstall the HD driver. I also re-seated the video cable on the motherboard which did nothing. If this were defective hardware, then why would I see graphics perfectly on an external monitor with the drivers installed, but not on the laptop display? I also did the full diagnostics test and the graphics and display both passed. I saw all the lines and colors on the screen. This seems more like a 'switch-over' issue in the drivers.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 5th, 2015 16:00

That is strange, so you have full video while using an external display, but no video on the LCD.  Uninstall the drivers and you get basic video on the LCD but nothing else, is this correct?

Typically if you get full video on an external display but not the LCD, I would say that there is a defect with the LCD.  If that was the case though having the drivers installed or not shouldn't make any difference.  If the LCD was defective, it would be defective regardless of any video drivers.

If the problem was driver related I would have thought reinstalling Windows would have corrected it. 

What type of external display is being used for testing and what type of connection are you using with it?

TB

March 6th, 2015 07:00

Yes, that is correct. I am baffled by this one. I am using an Acer 17 inch
wide flat panel lcd monitor with a VGA cable for the external display. It
seems odd that it would function perfectly on an external, but only in
'Safe Mode' or uninstalled drivers on the laptop display and as I said, it
passed both tests in the diagnostics and I re-seated the cable and
installed all driver updates. I even tried older drivers and those didn't
work either. I was sure to delete the old drivers as well so there wouldn't
be any cross-corruption by the dll's. Very, very odd.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 6th, 2015 09:00

I did a little research on the system.  The chipset has a chip called the PCH (Platform Controller Hub) Display Interface.  The PCH connects directly to the processor and has dedicated ports to both the LVDS (LCD) and analog port (VGA).  Since these are two distinct ports it is possible that one may be defective while the other is still very functional.

I haven’t seen this but this would explain the problems that you are seeing on your system.  The display is fine using the VGA connection, and only basic video using the LCD panel just as long as no drivers are installed.  If this is the case you may want to try reinstalling the chipset driver, the Windows 7 64 bit chipset driver may be downloaded here.

If you continue to have problems and the chipset driver doesn’t help this may be a defect with the system board and will need a service.  Typically I would look to the problem being with Windows and the drivers, but you have already performed one reinstall.

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

March 6th, 2015 14:00

Ok Terry. I believe I have already installed 64 bit drivers once before,
but maybe these are newer and I will try them. I am speculative that it
will rectify the problem.
What you have said makes very good sense about two distinct ports out of the PCH.  I doubt the laptop is still under
warranty and if it is a defective board, then the cost of the repair would
be too much out-of-pocket expense for me,
but I will give the driver re-installation the 'old college try'. Thanks so
much, Terry. I'll let you know the outcome.
David

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 9th, 2015 17:00

This is such a rare issue that I was hesitant in suggesting replacing the system board. I wasn't sure that you had replaced the chipset driver with the last install so I mentioned it.

If this is defective hardware one thing that did occur to me is that it could possibly be just a poor connection of the LVDS cable.  If you don't mind reseating the cable it could possibly save you having to replace the system board. or purchasing a new notebook.

If you think there is a chance that the system is under warranty you can shoot me a private message with the service tag and I will be happy to investigate any possible options.

TB

March 9th, 2015 17:00

Well Terry. The drivers that you linked were actually older and ones I had previously installed, so the only explanation is that is the LVDS port that is bad, so I basically have a parts laptop. However, I do thank you so much for your educated responses. I am calling it quits, unless you come up with another angle.

God bless you, Terry!

David

1 Message

August 29th, 2015 18:00

I have exactly the same problem with a vostro laptop with intel hd3000 graphics.

The intel hd 3000 drivers when installed make the laptop screen go blank, but external monitors are fine.

If I uninstall the hd3000 drivers, and have the microsoft default drivers, the screen works OK, but at 1024x768, not the 1366 resolution it is capable of.

It seems to be an intel driver incompatibility with the dell screens, & seems intel wont be doing an upgrade for the 3000 series, so we are probably stuffed....

No Events found!