Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2015 14:00

Dell Power Companion is confusing and maybe misleading

I bought a Dell Power Companion. Seems like a reasonable idea for a battery, but it's so poorly documented that I'm confused.

It has no written documentation. It only ships with a few pictures. One of the pictures shows plugging your laptop's charger into it to charge it. Fine.

The other series of pictures is labelled "Charge your device". It shows two steps: 1) plug the Power Companion into your laptop. 2) Push the little button on the Power Companion. Why do I push this button? It charges with or without me pushing it. On the printed "documentation" it labels this button with the universal power on/off symbol (the circle with the vertical line in it). But this button doesn't appear to turn anything on/off. It simply lights up the five tiny white charge level indicator lights. But if I hold the button down for a long time and then release then it turns on just one charge indicator LED (the one representing full charge). What does this special mode mean?

One of the little lights will turn orange sometimes when I plug in the charger and other times it won't. I assume ths means "charging", but why does it sometimes not turn on?

Next question: It doesn't charge my laptop. It powers my laptop, but won't charge it. In Win 8, if I hover on the battery icon it says, "plugged in, not charging". I guess this is ok. The laptop runs, and it's presumably a more efficient use of the power than charging the laptop's battery. But Dell's product web page (accessories.us.dell.com/.../productdetail.aspx;l=en&s=dfo&sku=451-bblz) says that it should charge the laptop: "the two USB charging ports let you simultaneously charge a pair of mobile devices in addition to your Dell Laptop." It also says, "The Dell Power Companion is designed to deliver in-bag charging, so your devices are charged when you need them." I have yet to see this thing charge my laptop.

Finally, there is a photo on the product web page showing the charger being plugged into the Power Companion, and the Power Companion being plugged into the laptop. This makes sense to me, and what I would assume this would do is first charge the battery of the Power Companion, then charge the battery of the laptop, all while powering the laptop for use. Or maybe charge the batteries in the opposite order. But does it do this? Nope. It powers the laptop and charges the Power Companion, but again, I have yet to see this thing charge my laptop.

This really ***! If I plug both things in over night, then in the morning I want them both to be charged. That's not possible here. I have to either wake up in the middle of the night and unplug the Power Companion to start the laptop charging, or I have to bring two chargers with me.

My laptop is a late 2013 Dell XPS 15.

July 28th, 2015 10:00

do you cek compatibilty ? because my xps 2012 13" is not compatible too with this power companion ? 

8 Posts

January 28th, 2016 10:00

Everything you said here is 100% correct. Returning my companion RIGHT NOW

1 Message

February 12th, 2016 06:00

It shows two steps: 1) plug the Power Companion into your laptop. 2) Push the little button on the Power Companion. Why do I push this button?

You press the button to turn it on, the companion turns off after a period of inactivity.

But if I hold the button down for a long time and then release then it turns on just one charge indicator LED (the one representing full charge). What does this special mode mean?

This mode shows battery health; one light means that the cells inside the companion are in good shape. This is explained in the PDF manual.

One of the little lights will turn orange sometimes when I plug in the charger and other times it won't. I assume ths means "charging", but why does it sometimes not turn on?

One orange light means "charger incompatible" or "communication with charger failed". Mine did the same when I charged it for the first time, but it never happened again afterwards.

Next question: It doesn't charge my laptop. It powers my laptop, but won't charge it.

The laptop communicates with the charger to negotiate supply and demand... If your machine demands more than what the charger is able to supply, the battery won't be charged, and performance will be adjusted to match the available power.

Finally, there is a photo on the product web page showing the charger being plugged into the Power Companion, and the Power Companion being plugged into the laptop.

My XPS 13 (2015) and companion charge simultaneously if I do that. Works as advertised.

My laptop is a late 2013 Dell XPS 15.

Only the XPS 15 2015 (9550) and XPS 15 (L502x) models are listed as compatible with the companion. The late 2013 (9530?) model is not on that list.

No Events found!