Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 9th, 2014 16:00

Dell Studio 1557 - loud fan after Windows 8.1 upgrade

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on my Dell Studio 1557 laptop, and since then have noticed that the fan is running nearly all the time.  It's an Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD (less than half full).  With fans at full blast, task manager shows relatively low CPU & RAM use, so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.  I take great care to avoid dust from accumulating inside the fan enclosure.  The problem is unaffected by changing CPU cooling mode to passive or by disabling most of my startup programs.

From what I understand, others (with different laptops) have had similar issues after installing Windows 8.1, some of which resolved following a BIOS update.  However, the latest BIOS (from 2010-11) is already installed.  I downgraded temporarily to Windows 7 and the fans were silent, but I've gone back to Windows 8.1 and am really hoping to solve this annoying issue.  Any ideas?

Seismick

16 Posts

May 11th, 2014 12:00

When the fan is running full blast is there any air coming out from the vent of the laptop?

4 Posts

May 11th, 2014 17:00

Yes, the ventilation is fine.  I suppose that's to be expected given that the problem does not exist when running Win 7 - it's only Win 8.1, leading me to believe that this is a software or BIOS issue.

16 Posts

May 11th, 2014 21:00

It is probably because of the bad cooling design after i try google-ing it and it seems that laptop will freeze when doing anything that stress the cpu or gpu. Did u install the graphic card driver from amd? Many people have this issue when their drivers are not updated. u can also use hwmonitor application to check which component is overheating

4 Posts

May 12th, 2014 06:00

HWmonitor shows, when doing light internet browsing, CPU temps of 50-55 deg C.  When running Malwarebytes, these shot up to 70-75.  There doesn't seem to be a temperature sensor for the GPU, but there are two for the motherboard, one of which is about the same as the CPU temps and another which is substantially lower.  SSD temps are at 40-45 C.

The latest AMD GPU driver was already installed.  Other ideas?

4 Posts

May 12th, 2014 08:00

Using GPU-z, temps under very light load (web browsing using Chrome) are 67 C, and fans are going strong.

16 Posts

when the cpu temps are around 50-55'c are the fan running full blast? Its hard to tell if it doesnt shows the gpu temp cause it might be the gpu that is running at high temps. How about try using gpu-z?

16 Posts

yes the temp is a bit high did u try repasting the gpu? The cpu temp is in safe range but as for gpu im pretty sure if u try run any games it will reach 80+'c quickly

No Events found!