Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2013 19:00

Dell Studio 1558 Double Power Failure: Battery and AC Adapter Not Recognized/Not Charging

OK. So I've read more posts about this than I care to say.  However, I have not found a definitive answer to this question: Why is my Dell suddenly not recognizing the battery OR the power adapter?  Both are genuine Dell products and the battery has more than enough useable life.  The adapter is brand new and yes it is the correct wattage, voltage, etc. for my Dell studio 1558.

Every time I restart the computer, it beeps twice and I get a double failure that the adapter and battery are not recognized by the system.  This has happened with two adapters now.  I get two different blinking power status light combinations as well.  Sometimes it is just constant blinking orange/amber, other times it will blink orange/amber 4 times and then once white.

I've tried the following troubleshooting steps to this point with no luck:

1)  Upgraded BIOS to A12 and tried Loading Default Settings

2)  Deleted both Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and Adapter in Device Manager under Battery. Then scanned for changes after removing and replacing battery, charger, etc.

3)  Removed and then put battery back in with computer on.  Interestingly, the computer recognizes the battery for about a minute and then goes back to "Plugged In, Not Charging" right after clicking on the battery icon.

4)  Upgraded to Win 8 and ran all updates, installed all drivers, etc. (Issue occurred on Win 7 too, was hoping it could have been an OS thing)

5)  Pressed Fn + F3 to try enabling battery charging

At this point I'm really hoping it's not the motherboard.  It doesn't look like the Studio 1558 has a separate power board, which really stinks.  I have plenty of tech savvy and would be willing to try replacing the DC Input Jack myself. 

Anyone with the same issue tried this and gotten a positive result?  Any other suggestions for this widespread issue?  Is there a way to reset the battery charging circuit so it doesn't disable itself in the BIOS? 

I find it hard to believe there is no real workaround except replace the entire motherboard.

July 25th, 2014 08:00

This issue is in the Bios Chip set I believe to counter battery fire issues that dont even exist today with current technology batteries. The only way I know to fix once this code is set is to replace the Motherboard. Not a used one. A new Dell or it will not allow charging. $$$$$$ If its not under warrenty they will not talk to you except to sell you a Motherboard. Below method works fine. Just a little more trouble to keep charged.

#1 do not expect any assistance from Dell !!!

#2 go to ebay and buy an external charger for your laptop battery, search "Dell Laptop external Battery Charger" aprox $69 

#3 remove laptop battery and recharge. I have a spare so I can always have a charged battery

#4 dont buy another Dell Laptop, this is a world wide issue with Dell Laptops that they refuse to acknowledge.

803 Posts

April 29th, 2013 19:00

Hi stugaz15,

I'm afraid this may be an issue with the mother board. Please check the adapter and battery status in BIOS. In BIOS set up check if the AC adapter is listed as 65W or 90W. If the adapter shows 'None' or 'Unknown Device Installed' then the issue is with the system board.

Release the system flea power and check only with the adapter.  (Shut down system, remove battery and unplug the adapter. Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. That will discharge the residual electricity from the system board. Try only with the adapter connected) There is no way we can reset the battery charging circuit.

If the system has an active warranty, I can help you set up a service call to replace the required parts.

Awaiting your response.

9 Posts

September 27th, 2013 00:00

Hey,

I was just searching for some issues on my Dell Studio 1558 and came across your topic.

I will cut right to the topic. Buddy I was facing the same issue with my studio 1558. Fortunately, I had the extended warranty on my machine and contacted dell about it. They send me a new adapter which seemed to have fixed the issue for a day or two. But, then i got the same error messages like unknown device for the adapter and even windows gave me compatibility errors with my charger and wouldnt charge my battery at all.

I contacted dell once more and they send me a new base cover which contains the charging pin. Apparently, it was faulty and was creating the issue. The issue is gone for now. And i guess that was the case.

So I would suggest you to contact dell and ask for a replacement.

Please let me know if u need any more details.

September 28th, 2013 06:00

Hey Pal,

I'm facing the same issue. Haven´t got warranty though, so I'll have to source my own base cover. Thought I'dcheck with you to make sure that I understand. Is this a base cover? http://www.ebay.es/itm/GENUINE-DELL-STUDIO-1555-1557-1558-BOTTOM-BASE-COVER-W935J-0W935J-W939J-0W939J-/181030915659?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item2a26488e4b

Look forward to hearing from you

6 Posts

October 1st, 2013 05:00

Hi Guys

After investigating further on the issue I realised that there are plenty of people all around the globe having the same issue in the last few days and coinciding with windows last updates!

Going further and after trying all the described methods unsuccessfully I am going to replace the power jack as this is an easy fix.

Please update us if any success and I''ll be doing the same.

October 1st, 2013 06:00

Alright Tugavoa?

Thanks for the reply. The ebay link is useful. How do you know replacing the socket will fix the issue? Have you tried it yet?

Thanks again.

6 Posts

October 1st, 2013 17:00

I trust that apart from that or forcing dell to resolve the problem we have no other alternative. 

I have bought one of those myself and the estimated delivery date is this Saturday so I will let you know. 

October 2nd, 2013 01:00

Yeah. We have little choice is seems. I'd appreciate it if you let me know, it'd be nice to have a solution. good luck!

October 11th, 2013 12:00

Hey Tugavoa,

How are you? Did your cable arrive? If so, how did it go? Did that fix the problem?

Kind regards

6 Posts

October 11th, 2013 16:00

Hi HarleyDobbs &all

I tend to laugh of the stupidity but before I would ever do that I must give you all the good news.

Dell is cheating. Our machines have been sold to us with a 65watt adapter but they should instead have a 90watt...

I didn't even replaced the connector because in the mean time I figured that out.

:emotion-15:

October 12th, 2013 07:00

Hello Tugavoa.

Heheh, thanks for your response. That's good news abot th easy solution. However, cheating people unintentionally or intentionally is generally pretty standard for various businesses (including dell). (Dell: why did you do this?) So Tugavoa, thank you for saving me time and effort. I am going to get a 90W adapter to sort out this problem. Good to know.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

October 15th, 2013 12:00

Hey Tgavoa,

Is your battery charging with the 90W adapter? Are you using a DELL adaptop?

Salutations

6 Posts

October 15th, 2013 18:00

Hi HarleyDobbs

It is charging and quicker than before.Are you having any trouble?

It has to be an original

October 16th, 2013 01:00

Dear Tugavoa,

Thanks for your response. No,  no problem. I have not bought the charger yet. So no probs at all :emotion-1:. I will post here when I get it and try it out.

Kind regards,

Harley

No Events found!