Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2009 11:00

Dell Studio 17 battery doesn't charge

Hi, I bought a Dell Studio 17 about 3 weeks ago, and a few days ago I realized that the battery doesn't charge. The AC adapter works fine and I can work normally with the computer connected to the power cord. Until now, I had been using the computer connected to the power cord, but a few days ago I desconnected the AC adapter and used the battery until it was nearly discharged, then I reconnected the AC adapter and there is an icon that says that the battery is connected and charging, but it's stuck at 2% (it hasn't charged at all). I have tried to solve the problem by many ways but I had no luck. I wanted to update the BIOS to see if this solved the problem, but  when I try to do it I get a "Low battery" error message even with the AC adapter connected so I can't update. I would like to know if there's anyway to update the BIOS with low battery or if there's any other way to solve directly the problem of the battery. I received the computer only a few weeks ago and I can't believe that they have sent me a laptop with a battery that doesn't charge at all. It took them almost two months to finally deliver the computer and I received it with such a basic problem. I would really appreciate any help.

14 Posts

Goto BIOS (tap f2 on start of the machine), check if the adapter is detected in BIOS, if the adapter is not detected in BIOS, it will not charge the battery, if its not detected, probably you need a new adapter.. check if you can get a similar adapter 65W or 90 W from your friend or someone and check if its not detected.. based on that call tech support and let them know the outcome or post it  here :)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Call for warranty service - they will likely send a battery first, and if that doesn't work, replace the mainboard.

February 18th, 2010 02:00

Hi, here a Dell Latitude D630 with very similar problems. It seems it is a general glitch in many Dell models. In my case in the BIOS the adapter and battery are recognised and battery is displayed as charging. However this is not the case. Green light indicating battery charging is not on when the adapter is connected. I swapped different power adapters and batteries, because in the office we have 4 Dell Latitude, to no avail. I get with different batteries the whole range of messages, from the classic : "Your battery  is charging but is at the end of its life" to :"battery not installed" and amber light flashing. All batteries and laptop were bought less than two years ago and  I am inclined to think this is a general mainboard problem. Good Luck!

1 Message

March 3rd, 2011 21:00

I have a Dell Studio 1749, about 6 months old.  About a month ago, I started having the same exact symptoms...stick the plug in, it blinks white 3 times then turns amber, and the battery does not charge.  I thought it was the battery, so I bought a second one - no dice.

Being an electrical engineer by trade, I decided to crack open the case and see what the problem was.  It turns out that one of the wires (the gray one) leading from the mainboard to the power connector had broken right off.  I soldered it back on, put a bit of electrical tape on it and re-assembled.  I am now typing this message from my Dell Studio 17 laptop that is charging its battery!

This kind of operation isn't for the feint of heart...it took me 4 hours to disassemble, repair, and re-assemble the laptop.  But, I avoided having to deal with the hassle of warranty service.  The internal design of the power connector isn't very good, it has two symmetric plastic toes that hold the connector in place, which lets it rock back and forth on an axis, which is probably how it broke.  So most likely, this is a power connector problem we're seeing.

Your mileage may vary!  Unless you have an EE degree, insist on warranty service.

1 Message

September 17th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the information about your plight.  I have been looking for a similar problem to mine and this sounds like it.  makes since because it is usable but just doesn't charge.  I'm an AE (avionics engineer) same thing as an EE but specializing in aviation.  I'll give this a try and post the results...

No Events found!