Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2013 17:00

Dell Studio 1737 With Windows 7 Will Not Startup

So here's the issue:

My family has owned this laptop for awhile now; I'm not sure exactly how long, but long enough that the warranty is dead as disco. It's never had any real issues, other than the occasional freeze, program glitch, or overheating. That being said, I was surprised that an error like this would just suddenly appear. But here it is.

The computer was working completely alright for me until just this morning. My last contact with it was about 8 hours before, when I shut it down before going to bed. Everything was working well and good, my antivirus software silent, my internet business nothing out of the ordinary. However, when I tried to activate it this morning, an ominous black-and-white screen appeared, giving me the option to either "Start Windows Normally" or "Run Startup Repair". I selected the first bit, thinking nothing of this sudden oddity. I returned to the computer five minutes later, only to discover that, instead of the usual, welcoming log in screen, there was only an over-sized mouse pointer lying docilely on the default studio background (that quaint one with the hummingbird and the blue and green ribbons). I can move the strangely pixelized mouse, but that's about it. Control-alt-delete has no effect, and shutting the computer down manually, then using either option (Repair or Normal) brings me back to this screen. I've disconnected the battery, tried to boot in safe mode, done everything that my limited knowledge of software allows. Thus, I'm officially stuck.

Help a mate out?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 14th, 2013 18:00

Hello,

I would suggest a couple of steps which would help us isolate the issue. Please follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Releasing the flea power.
-- Disconnect all the external peripherals from the computer including the battery and the ac adapter and release the flea power by pressing and holding the power button for 5 to 10 seconds. Turn on the computer and check.

2. Run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics.
It runs the test on the hardware components of the computer. Run the test and check if it gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. 

Please try the steps and write back to us, would be glad to assist further.

January 14th, 2013 18:00

Well Allan, I tried both the flea power and the system diagnostics. Nothing. All systems apparently "Passed". What now?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 15th, 2013 01:00

Hello,

In that case please try the following steps:

1. Load the BIOS to defaults.
-- For more information on resetting the BIOS to the defaults, refer to the Resetting the System Setup (BIOS) to its Default Settings section.

2. Check in Safe Mode.
-- Restart the computer. Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen. Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode. Press Enter. Check if the computer is booting into safe mode.

If the computer boots into safe mode, I would suggest doing a System Restore. In case system restore doesn't fix the issue try doing a Start Up Repair.

Please try the steps and write back to us, would be glad to assist you further. 

January 15th, 2013 17:00

Hmph, it's proving problematic. I loaded the BIOS defaults, and it did indeed do something different: instead of bringing me to that strange deonized purgatory, it flashed a blue screen for a split second and then returned to the beginning of the process, the POST. While it is change, it doesn't really help me much.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 15th, 2013 23:00

Hi,

Please disable the Automatic Restart from Advanced boot options and check for any Blue Screen Stop Error Code.
-- Restart the computer, keep tapping F8 on the Dell logo screen and once you are on the Advanced Boot Options, Select Disable Automatic Restart and check if the boot cycle continues. 

Note down the stop error code if any and let me know, would assist you with the next course of action.

No Events found!