Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2009 02:00

Dell Studio 1737 graphics issue after upgrading to Windows 7

I recently upgraded the OS on my Dell Studio 1737 from Windows Vista Home to Windows 7 Ultimate. Since the upgrade the screen sporadically gets fuzzy, especially when I have a number of windows open. I have downloaded and installed the latest software for the graphics card but this has not resolved the issue. Any suggestions.

Regards

6 Posts

November 18th, 2009 19:00

My Studio 1737 has 3 GB of RAM.  Does anybody else have Blu-Ray that is experiencing this problem?

I know when trying to configure the system for a new system, it always prompted me to upgrade the processor or the video card for use with the Blu-Ray.

I have seen on other posts that upgrading to the 4 GBs of RAM resolved the issue.  I don't know if it is an memory addressing issue with the driver or if it there is memory sharing between the integrated video and other processes causing it.

I had no problems with it on Vista x-64, that I remember.  I have wiped the drive clean and done a fresh install, then reverted back to the factory image and did an upgrade with the same results.

I worked with laptop support that attempted to resolve the issue by installing the ATI driver first, then the Intel driver second.  The issue is still unresolved.

7 Posts

November 19th, 2009 05:00

I thought reverting back to a standard background fixed the issue

It doesnt, as you can see from the screen above, look at the left hand side top corner!!!

Has this post been relocated ?

Has anybody any fixes or Has Dell released any articles on it ?

7 Posts

November 19th, 2009 05:00

I have the exact same issue, I have a Dell Studio 1737, 3GB.

I had this problem when playing any media or when I closed the lid, in Vista Premium, I have upgraded to Windows 7 thinking that this would cure the issue, its made it worse!!!

I get it when running Aero 7, I have reverted back to basic background but thats not the cure!

I have spoken to Dell who informed to restore back to the factory Vista image and reinstall Windows 7, a technician is phoning me back on Monday 23rd Nov, I didnt expect the techinicians "fix" to work but had to do it to rule it out.

My Dell was purchased in June 2009, so if its a memory issue then they should fix.

6 Posts

November 19th, 2009 11:00

I think you may have mis-understood. Turning Aero glass (or transparency) off is one of the possilbe fixes. The screen capture you posted clearly (no pun intended) has transparency enabled. What you have as a background (I'm assuming you mean desktop wallpaper) has no effect on the problem. Most people have found that by upgrading to 4Gb identical ram modules or removing the 1Gb module (in a 3Gb setup) that the problem has gone away.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 19th, 2009 13:00

delganey,

We have Dell Tech Support working on it in this thread..

graphics problems with Windows 7 64bit and Intel 4500mhd

Rick

7 Posts

November 20th, 2009 02:00

sorry, posted the wrong pic, Turning Aero and /or Transparency OFF DOES NOT fix it. I do believe its a memory issue, I have read about this on another forum, I am waiting to speak to Dell on Monday , I would remove the chip myself and take the system to 2 GB to verify but I dont know if my warranty will be void if I do.

1 Message

November 20th, 2009 14:00

Hi Rick

I had exactly the same problem . I have the Dell Studio 1737 with 3gb ram .  My husband is an IT technician , so luckily we do know what we're doing and looking for . We called the Dell support helpline and they told us to do a fresh install , this didn't solve the problem . So after spending many hours searching and realising there are a lot of others having the same issues , we stopped trying with the drivers and he took the 1gb of ram out  ,  hey presto , it's worked like a dream since .

It is a gamble for some that don't know what they're are doing , but i'm 100% certain it is mismatched ram , the 2 ram sticks i had in my laptop weren't even the same brand !!!!!      Dell need to address this issue as there are a lot of people out there with mismatched ram .  I will be calling Dell support monday morning with my findings and see what they have to say .

November 26th, 2009 14:00

I have the same problem.  I understand that if I respond to this thread that I will have updates posted back about the issue here.  Same chipset as listed below...6GB of Ram.  Any updates?

2 Posts

November 27th, 2009 20:00

I also have the Studio 1737, 3gb RAM.  i installed the 32-bit Win 7 and am also having the video problems.  I'm thoroughly convinced though, that this is a driver issue.  I've tried a bunch of different drivers for the 4500 video, and at one point while using a Lenovo driver, this problem seemed to lessen in frequency.  I've tried re-installing this driver after re-installing a fresh Win 7, but am still having problems now, except when I switch from Aero to Basic.  If anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear'em - till then I'll keep trying the different flavors of the 4500 driver.

Matt

2 Posts

December 4th, 2009 02:00

Well, after reading the general direction in which things were headed here, I decided to remove my 1 gb ram, and run with the Samsung 2 gb.  The problem has vanished.  I'm a little ticked that Dell had to cheap out on the ram for these when they could have done a little more homework and officially qualified these units for Windows 7.  I'm getting back on the horn with these folks, and being persistent, will stone them till they either send me a stick of Samsung ram (not likely), or they get so sick of me they stop taking my calls (more likely thecase!)

Matt

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 4th, 2009 03:00

Matt,

I still have the 3GB RAM installed and have no problems, anymore.

Dell has a Bios update to A08 and the problem goes away.

Rick

7 Posts

December 4th, 2009 03:00

My Laptop came back from dell. Replaced Mother board.

Had the same issues.

Upgraded the Bios and Installed a newer Video driver, theres an update here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18334

No issues now, all working a treat.

I still have 3GB ram

5 Posts

February 25th, 2010 13:00

I've just upgraded my graphics drivers for Win7 on my Studio 1737 and have LOST the Aero theme all together, all I get is the basic, even when I select Aero!

Hardly a cure

5 Posts

February 25th, 2010 14:00

I ran the graphics update straight from Device Manager (Update Driver Software) I have re-ran the WEI and it went from 3.3 to 3.4, yet now when I select an Aero theme it defaults to a Basic theme.

Didn't update the BIOS, not sure how you do that in Win7

6 Posts

February 25th, 2010 14:00

kpsuk,

Did you run the bios update? If yes then have you installed the drivers from Dell's website? If yes then have you ran the Windows Experience Index?

In order for the aero theme to be active the Windows Experience Index has to be at least 3.0.

No Events found!