Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 13th, 2010 17:00

Dell Tech Support is Practically Criminal

I was helping a relative with their 3 month old laptop.  It had fallen off the wifi network and could not get online.  I went through all of the trouble shooting and menu settings that I could find, still no luck.  The wifi network was active, but the laptop couldn't recognize it.  Since the laptop was new, I telephoned Dell tech support to see if they had any tips or advice.

I explained my situation to the tech support person who immediately informed me that my registry was corrupted and it was a good thing that I caught it so quickly and he would be glad to help me if I paid $129.  How did he know this?  He asked no questions, he did no trouble shooting.  There is no possible way that he could know it was a registry problem.  He was lying and I knew it.  All he wanted was $129.

I declined his generous offer, hung up and proceeded to continue trouble shooting the problem on my own.  After a 3 minute Google search, I found the problem with a simple fix that took two seconds. 

Dell Tech Support is definitely not on "Our" side.  They have no interest in helping their customers they just seem to want to take advantage of people through misrepresentation and deceit.  I wonder how many people have fallen for $129 "Corrupted Registry" routine?  Apple tech support by comparison is stellar.  They have such superlative, helpful service.  Dell is an absolute disgrace.  As for me, I am finished with Dell after this.  They have shown me their true colors and I want no part of it.  This was definitely my last Dell purchase.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 13th, 2010 17:00

Just bear in mind that that "stellar" Apple support is limited-time-only -- hardware, 1 year (same as Dell -- unless you  purchase an AppleCare extended warranty -- same as Dell) and software, 90 days (same as Dell) -- after which you pay per incident (same as Dell).

Yes, there's the added bonus of the Genius Bar in Apple stores - but after the warranty you pay for it.

The downsides:  Apple charges over $1,000 to replace a mainboard (more than twice what Dell does;  Apple's systems use batteries that aren't user-replaceable (and therefore cost twice as much to replace) -- and the systems are, feature for feature, 50% more expensive than Dell's systems.

So, as is usual - you get what you pay for.

3 Posts

October 13th, 2010 18:00

The point isn't who has better customer service.  The point is that Dell knowingly lied to me.

Deliberately using phony scare tactics to extort money from your customers is really low.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 13th, 2010 19:00

It is you who held Apple up for "superlative" service. 

A few weeks ago I repaired a Macbook that Apple told a friend "needed a logic board -- for $1,100 + tax". 

The REAL problem was a bad hard drive, which I fixed for $65 total.

2.2K Posts

October 13th, 2010 20:00

You called for help for something that was apparently not covered by warranty. I agree they should have gotten the $$$, then troubleshoot to fix what the problem is before speculating, but I am guessing they would have fixed the problem for you for the $$$. Yeah, it's high, but it seems in line with what others charge. I don't see it as 'criminal' or scare tactics. If they took your money and then did not fix it,  that would be closer to criminal....

Since you've now found these forums, be aware they are a great resource for help. Use them if a need arises again.

1 Message

September 30th, 2012 14:00

I agree Stevecc! Amen! Terrible that you are not comfortable using a service you paid for and are basically being bullied into buying more. Enough is enough. Someone has to stop this and not allow paying customers to be treated like this.

No Events found!