Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 22nd, 2013 07:00

Dell Update Drivers and partitions

Hello...

I have just purchased an Inspiron 15 3521 with Win 8 installed on it. I have 2 questions to ask....

1) On the Dell drivers and update page, it lists a driver called Intel HM77Chipset driver...I have checked the radio button to filter out drivers for my service tag...the problem is I can find a driver in the Device Manager for HM76 chipset driver but cannot find HM77 in device manager. So...do I actually need this updated driver for HM77?

2) In disk management, it looks like there are 6 partitions. I of them is named OS(C:) which I presume is where Win 8 resides. None of the other 5 have names but under status it tells me that 3 are recovery partitions, 1 is a EFI partition, 1 is an EFI partition. Can someone tell me what these are for?

THANKS very much!

cammac

105 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 09:00

You are using an UEFI system with a boot disk partitioned according to the GPT scheme (UEFI+GPT).

The OS (C:) partition contains Windows. There are two other partitions required by the UEFI+GPT scheme: EFI System Partition, which is the boot partition, and the MSR partition.

The other 3 partitions are: one partition used for running the Dell diagnostics, and two “recovery partitions”. One contains the WINRE and other recovery tools (should have the “WINRETOOLS” label), and the other contains the Dell factory image (should have the “PBR Image” label).

No Events found!