Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2012 08:00

Dell Vostro 1310 sound issues

Hi!

I'm very angry with this problem and I've  read various forum post solutions but the problem still exists.My dell vostro core 2 duo laptop with 2gb ram, win7 os, seems to lag when playing back audio (mp3,movies,youtube), it produces a repetitive, glitchy sound like my intel pentium 1 did when struggling to run a pc game.I do NOT use the integrated soundcard, i have an external USB unit (Emu202) with the latest drivers installed, it occurs both ways, with the onboard or the external.

The most annoying thing is everything worked fine before, but know when plugged in to the wall for charging it happens all the time, when running on battery it just randomly occurs every 10 sec or so in a song. I lived in Europe and recently moved to the UK, I'm using a transformer(2 pins to 3, 240w) to plug it in the wall connector.The noise however is not a constant buzzing or humming sound (not a typical ground problem noise), it sounds like  a digital audio glitch.Power consumption is shown around 21 joule in the "Joulemeter" application.

The other thing is i killed my onboard  slide in type of dvd drive by inserting a dvd by force after it did not let me to put anything in although the drive was definitely empty, i tried restarting the laptop but this is a different story, it spits out dvds now, but anyway its blocked, im not using it, this should save some power right?I have also disabled the cam and the onboard soundcard but it still happens.Could i have caused some circuit damage outside the unit by inserting the dvd by force?

I'm a musician and I need audio apps very bad! 

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 9th, 2012 05:00

Hello. It is hard to sort through all of the various circumstances here. There are quite a few.

dell vostro core 2 duo laptop with 2gb ram, win7 os

Dell does not support 7 on the Vostro 1310, only XP and Vista 32bit. Did you have the problem with the original OS? If not perhaps this is the cause.

everything worked fine before, but know when plugged in to the wall for charging it happens all the time, when running on battery it just randomly occurs every 10 sec or so in a song. I lived in Europe and recently moved to the UK, I'm using a transformer(2 pins to 3, 240w) to plug it in the wall connector.

If the problem did not happen before you started using the transformer then that might be the cause. If so, that would explain why it works better on batteries. It might work less than perfect on batteries because usually a power management scheme will kick in to extend battery life but at the cost of reducing performance. If so, ensure that all power management is off or set to high performance. There are various of them that can be scattered around the comuter -- in the OS, the audio driver, the video driver etc. In laptop models with nVidia, if the driver has Powermiser it has to be turned off, for example, or it will affect audio. I don't know where all the schemes might be in your model.

he other thing is i killed my onboard  slide in type of dvd drive by inserting a dvd by force after it did not let me to put anything in although the drive was definitely empty, i tried restarting the laptop but this is a different story, it spits out dvds now, but anyway its blocked, im not using it, this should save some power right?I

I suppose there is a possibility that the system cannot determine whether or not there is a cd in the driver and is constantly polling it and thereby reducing performance. If a non audio driver hogs the cpu it will affect the audio, particularly in 7 and Vista.

have also disabled the cam and the onboard soundcard

Did you remove the Realtek audio driver? If you still have it try removing it (Start>Control Panel>Uninstall a Program) and upon reboot Windows will install its native HD audio driver. See if that makes a difference. To reduce complications remove the external audio interface and its driver while attempting to diagnose the problem.

5 Posts

June 9th, 2012 09:00

thank you for answering so soon, unfortunately removing the onboard audio driver and restarting did not help.

i was using win 7 from the beginning since i bought this laptop in used condition, and i didn't had any problems like this before, i could watch movies without sound problems and i was giving live performances (audio) and this never occurred, i guess it must be a power issue otherwise the external usb soundcard would work properly, but it doesnt, something is colliding.

im going to take my laptop to a repair technician, exchange the power supply, the battery and if that doesnt do anything ill give it in for a proper look through for 15 pounds.

5 Posts

June 14th, 2012 05:00

Here is what happened, i took my Dell to a laptop service and asked for a genuine charger, and it solved the problem, the guy said it has installed ground in the adapter, but then we changed to MY ORIGINAL adapter and everything worked perfectly!!!No choppy sound or anything.I asked the guy if there was ground installed in the shop, but he replied no.So it worked without a problem either with a grounded adapter, and the original which hasnt got  (my 2pin).

However when I came back the same problem occurred,  audio is still bad,so the problem is still not solved.It must be an issue with the electricity in the house.The house is lifted by the way from the ground, but the other lodgers dont have a problem with their sound...

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 14th, 2012 08:00

That's interesting. I've never heard of electrical problems causing stuttering sound -- just staticky and humming noises.

5 Posts

June 20th, 2012 05:00

i managed to do a recording with my ipod of the sound my laptop produces and converted it to mp3 and uploaded to the link, like i said it could be something in the house with the electricity as it did not happen in the repair shop i took it to.Notice the clicking glitchy sounds at the beginning of the song, it is repetitive

http://wtrns.fr/ZpMr3zaoo0AC10

hope that gives a clue...im really out of ideas

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 20th, 2012 06:00

I heard the clicks but not the choppiness. I don't know what it is. It would be interesting to try the laptop at some other places in addition to the shop and see what happens.

As a side note: the adapters with 2 pins are better in regards to grounding noise than the 3 pin ones, because with just 2 pins you break the ground. When I first joined this board Dell always used 3 pin adapters and if one connected the audio to any external amp or speakers with a 3 pronged plug the noise was unbearable. We had to remove the ground from either the laptop or the external device -- it didn't matter which one. Dell eventually redesigned the adapters and pretty much fixed that particular problem.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 20th, 2012 06:00

By the way if you have the optional fingerprint reader -- in some cases those make a noise when touched.

5 Posts

June 27th, 2012 10:00

:emotion-3: I switched on my laptop today, wanted to listen to a song, and the popping sound is gone!!!I have still no idea what caused it, I didnt change anything in my hardware or software or any settings...but I'm very glad its gone!!!!!I did watch a movie on my laptop speakers yesterday on full volume with on my external dvd drive, and I had to reduce it because it was so loud, despite I always found divx movies very low on volume with the vostro...that might have triggered something I really dont know...

No Events found!