Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

October 23rd, 2015 15:00

Dell XPS 13 9343 Wireless with Windows 10: Wifi not available

I have encountered a very specific issue:  wifi does not work when I have my brand new Dell XPS 13 in my motor vessel / boat. 

I called Microsoft Store four times --- each time, the rep goes through a routine to reset the wireless adapter, checks the driver version, and/or flushes the DNS server.   The fourth rep I talked to reset several services that were not enabled.  

I am unable to connect to the wifi at the marina, the personal hotspot on my phone, or my Verizon wireless MIFI --- because the wireless adapter shows a status of "not available" (after I run the troubleshooter and reset the adapter, I can connect momentarily).       I have several other devices connected to these same devices (the marina wifi, the Verizon MIFI, etc.) ---- so, I know that there is service available.

I brought the XPS into my home --- and, can successfully and reliable connect to my home router (through Comcast cable), to the same Verizon cellular MIFI.   

What issue is blocking the wireless adapter when in the environment of the boat?   Is there some kind of interference that this particular unit is susceptible to?     (Again, I have three other laptops --- a Windows 10 Thinkpad laptop, a SurfacePro Windows 8, an iPad, and, two iphones connected to the available wireless services)

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

1.8K Posts

October 26th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

It sounds as if there is something causing a specific range of interference that is affecting your system when you're at the marina.  It is weird though.   

Have you tried deleting any wireless profiles you have on that laptop that pertain to the marina, then reboot the system and see if you can connect to your MIFI at that point?   It could be that the system is attempting to connect to the marina wifi automatically at start up, getting corrupted or some sort of configuration issue, and thus causing the networking on the entire system to fail out.

My idea is to see if we can make the system not connect to anything automatically but the Verizon MIFI when at the marina, to see if that will enable it to work.   Maybe not a long term solution but at least that would give us an idea on where to start.

What wireless card (make & model) do you have in the system  and what version of driver for it is currently installed on the system?

Oh, and maybe try turning off bluetooth when at the marina as well.  (Assuming you have a card that is both wifi and bluetooth, to try to limit causes).

Let me know how that goes and I'll try and think of other suggestions you can try.

Todd

October 28th, 2015 07:00

There are hundreds of posts on various forums about this problem.  

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19649698 

Unfortunately Dell seems to be in denial about it. 

6 Posts

October 28th, 2015 07:00

Thank you for the detail, ToddS!   

Yes ---- I did try to delete the profiles to the marina WIFI (because, indeed, the machine was trying to connect to the marina...) 

However, that did not resolve the problem.    

The adapter was a Dell 1560 (a Broadcomm adapter).   I checked (several times), to make sure that it was a current driver.   

I did NOT try to turn off Bluetooth.  I wish I had. 

Since I have submitted the question, I returned the device. 

I am hoping that the new Dell XPS 13 9350 has a different adapter.    Do you know?  

Microsoft support told me that the Dell XPS 13 9350 does not have a network adapter.   (it was over an IM chat).     (I have not, yet, tried to call and make contact with someone I can get a better answer from). 

But --- I am HOPING to buy the new device --- IF I can get a detailed specification for.    The Microsoft Store does not include detailed specifications on their web site.    

If you can help with that, I would be grateful.   It is a GREAT laptop.    (But, if the network adapter is THAT sensitive.... Ugh.)

6 Posts

October 28th, 2015 08:00

Thank you, Todd!   I appreciate the detail.   This will help me make an informed decision!!!

kristin

1.8K Posts

October 28th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

I'm sorry you had such difficulties with that system that you had to return it.   Here is a link to the support pages for the XPS 13 9350 and their manuals.  (Here is a direct link to the XPS 13 specifications manual). 

From the details I can see the XPS 13 9350 has the option of either the Intel AC 8260 or the Dell Wireless 1820A cards, so it would have the next generation of wireless cards as options.

So Microsoft is sort of correct.  The XPS 13 9350 does not have a "network adapter" in the sense it doesn't have a traditional ethernet cable port.  It's entirely wireless unless you want to use a USB / Ethernet adapter.  Those models are simply too thin to accommodate wired connections anymore.  

I hope this helps, and, again, I'm sorry for the problems you had with the previous system.  I wish you better luck with your new laptop (and great fishing / sailing :) )

Todd

9 Posts

December 31st, 2017 04:00

Here is how to enable Wi-Fi Sense in Windows 10 and connect to Hotspots

In order to activate the Wi-Fi Sense on your Windows 10 device click open the “Settings” tab or type in Wi-Fi settings in the search box to look for it.

Now straight away go to the end of the Wi-Fi settings box and click open the option named “Manage Wi-Fi settings”.

You will now see two options:

1. -Connect to suggested open hotspots and

2. – Connect to network shared by my contacts.

These options will further give you a choice to either put  “ON” Connect to suggested open hotspots. To use wi-fi sense turn it on.

The second settings option specifically mentions below that you can allow others to use your network connection with your Wi-Fi settings without letting them view or share your password. You can simply connect to Wi-Fi networks shared by your contacts and they can connect to your network which you share.

Source:- merabheja.com/.../

No Events found!