Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2017 15:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 - AC power adapter and type could not be determined

Hi,

I'm using an XPS 13 9350, and 'm currently having an issue whereby when I start up my laptop I'm receiving the error message.

"AC power adapter and type cannot be determined, the battery may mot charge, the system will adjust the performance to match the power available"

The laptop sticks at 1% and wont charge. Although the light is still on the adapter, the light does not appear at the front of the laptop where it would usually indicate charging, apart from occasionally brief moments before the laptop boots following pressing the on button.

I have forced the latest BIOS update past the 10% battery block, however this has not helped.

I've had the laptop and adapter roughly a year.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 16:00

If "roughly" is less than a year, call Dell for warranty repair.

If it's over a year, first thing to try is a new OEM Dell AC adapter -- most computer shops should have one you can try.  If that fixes it, replace the AC adapter.  If not, replace the DC power jack:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

And if that doesn't solve it, it's the charge circuit itself that's bad -- replace the mainboard.

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 00:00

UPDATE: Having left the laptop unplugged overnight, and replugging it in this morning,  there is now a white/grey semi translucent ring around the edge of the screen.

Appreciate the reply above is a generic post regarding AC adapter issues, has anyone experienced this current issue?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 04:00

Run a diagnostic on the screen - hold the D key through powerup.  Does the same fault show?

1 Message

December 14th, 2017 14:00

I had the same  problem. Battery passed testing and BIOS also was showing excellent battery health. I tried downgrading BIOS version and than updating again, four BIOS version made no difference. New charger didn't help. I tried replacing the DC power jack connector, but that didn't help either. I suspect the motherboard itself is failing to connect the DC power jack connector properly. Eventually I went for the Dell usb-c 45w charger with a hope that this connection will be fine. Success. It may be inconvenient for somebody who does use the usb-c port for other devices, for me it works as an easy and far cheaper solution, than fixing the motherboard.

No Events found!